• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

It's an addiction I tell ya...

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Didn't need it, don't have the time for it, Vietnam vet had passed away and I couldn't let his project go to the scrapper. So now I'm putting together a recovery operation for this afternoon.
886b.jpg

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

He would appreciate you rescuing his project if he was here to do so. It is a disease, but we all have a precurser of it, before the Green Iron disease hits. IT is just passed on as we get older. Fortunately, there are people like you, who want to keep a project alive & not let it go to the scrappers.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the recovery went pretty smooth, in the craigslist picture above, you can see the tires, they are not flat. It was sunk in about 7 inches. The M1009 had a hard time yanking it out of holes without tearing up the yard. Had to get it turned 90° for the rollback to load it.
What appears to be red primer on the side, is actually what is left of the fire engine red paint job.

Can't wait to see pics of the M887 on the stretcher behind the W400 bambalance.
deja vu
IM001398s.JPG

Last edited:

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I neglected things that I should have been doing today. I played with the M886 a bit, the M1009 watched the whole thing , became jealous and gave me some electrical gremlins to seek out. So that one is parked for now too.

This M886 is probably the most rust free one I've seen in a long time. What I assumed were rust holes from the pictures was mostly just peeling paint. Aired up the tires, put some fluids in, gave it a bath. and fired it up!IM003039.jpgIM003040.jpg

Notice in the rear view, we have a M1010 door on the left and a M886 door on the right.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks