• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jeep "Commando" in Army Service

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It could have been a "Military Sales Jeep" View attachment 518617

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU67078ts_Q

Here are a couple side shots from the first post View attachment 518621 View attachment 518623
This answers A LOT of questions. Same truck, different configurations. It EVOLVED!!! Notice the top and the racks. Different in all the pictures but the numbers are the same. Also, more "stuff" added over the years including the antennas . Thanks. You must have been at the shows? (BTW, It's still for sale!)

Last edited:

KaiserM109

That's why I started this thread. Too much that did make sense to me. It has a AN/VRC-12 radio set mounted in the back, not connected to anything. That set required 24 volt and that jeep is 12 volt. The antennas are wrong for the radios, the hood number is the VIN Number and that never happens, plus all the stuff attached and not connected like the siren and black-out light.

What someone did do a good job on is the canvas top and the litter racks and even the radio rack. They look like they belong. Someone was a good fabricator and had a good shop to make the canvas.
My Commando is a '70 frame and drive train. The original body got totaled and I was in the process of putting a '68 pickup body on it when we lost our shop space, right after we sandblasted it. I got a full length top at a junkyard.

1971 Commando_pickup.jpg

I'm encouraged to put the pickup top on mine and paint it as much like an early M38 as I can just for grins.

The Air Force seems to have a lot more latitude in purchasing equipment than other services; remember they bought the AR-15 before it was designated the M16. As an Army gravelgrinder I hitched a lot of rides on Air Force transports and I saw a lot of International Harvester equipment, including Scouts.

saddamsnightmare

October 31st, 2014.

A perfect Halloween vehicle, a Franken-Commando! A friend of mine had one non-military, and it had to be the sorriest vehicle on the trails and an absolute wonder to get parts for! It was like a Wheeling hooker, everybody had a piece of it in the assembly line, and as to parts, none of them worked well together. There are folks who love the Commando, but if anything Jeep or AMC ever turned out as an illegitimate design, that was it.....rofl