• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jeep ideas

I know this isn't exactly a military vehicle problem but I could use some help. I have a 1977 Jeep J10 non military pickup. (War monger) I'm going to be re-building it and it's engine. It has the 360 V8 with the 4 speed stick. EVERYTHING is stock. other then a broadside dent on the left side, there aint much wrong with it.

My original plan was to replace the sagging springs and do a Spring/over conversion on it. then when I re-build the axles, I would throw in a couple of lockers. I have a winch bumper for it that is going on as I type this.then as far as the engine, re-build it with an all stock setup. the only thing that would change in the engine would be some aluminum heads, a better carb, and maybe a different cam. then of course, re-paint it. (and fix the dents)

does anybody have anything they could ad or does anybody see anything wrong with the ideas?? I want to be sure this is what I want to do before I commit to anything.

Let me know guys[thumbzup]

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck! Those are getting almost impossible to find in good shape. As much as I like stock vehicles, if you plan on using the J10 as a daily driver, the 360 and the marginal fuel economy that goes with it may not suffice. I would put the 360 in the corner of the garage for a future pure restoration, and install something like a 4BT Cummins or (bite my lip) a GM 6.2. Something to get you approaching 18 mpg.

sirleaksalot

I sure miss mine. I had a 76, we built a 401 balanced and blueprinted. 425 hp at rear wheels.
put on Holley projection, doug thorley tri y's, msd pro billet distrib. my buddie had a stereo shop so it thumped whatever your flavor was. had a 2 in susp lift and 2 in body. flow master series 50's with twice pipes.
it was bad askkkkk.
I still have all that 360 stuff too.
mpg was not great but then I did not build it for fuel economy. one of my old mxer buddies had a Honcho version, it was a neat ride too.
I would just punch it out and redo the 360, unless you have a bottomless budget then by all means got all out.

on edit,
I also had custom dual tanks on it they were 40 gal each. a big when I had to drop them, they took advantage of every inch under there. I had Ranhco 9000's with the remote adjuster, and a oil cooler.

Attachments

Last edited: