• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jerry cans

ODAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all,

I'm aware of at least 2 different types of jerry cans: one type has a "screw top" lid; the other has an "overcenter" lid with an handle.

Can anyone advise which one would have been typical for the M37? Thanks for the help.

cjcottrill

I have one of each on mine. The screw top lids are for fuel, the other is for water. Look on the bottom of the screw type for the date stamp, the correct year cans are readily available. For the cam lock lids look on the top under the handle for the date and a W for water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The offset lever type originated in Europe, over here long after the M37 was out of active service.

I bought an entire containerload of Russki ones back in the 80's, sold like hotcakes.

The pros: They pour better without a spout than ours.

The cons: Seasonal temperature differences will eventually cause them to develop hairline cracks in the "X" and leak.

Now they're everywhere...

cjcottrill

The offset lever type originated in Europe, over here long after the M37 was out of active service.

I bought an entire containerload of Russki ones back in the 80's, sold like hotcakes.

The pros: They pour better without a spout than ours.

The cons: Seasonal temperature differences will eventually cause them to develop hairline cracks in the "X" and leak.

Now they're everywhere...
While that is true, I was referring to the USGI issue cans with the large center mounted cam lock lids. There is, of course, an exception for the small offset cam locks issued by the USMC. The off shore small cam lock cans are prolific here also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GopherHill

There is apparently a collectors market for WW II jerry cans. Many different makers and as I found out, slight differences from maker to maker. Occasionally you can catch the appropriate cans at garage sales.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used to carry a 1953-dated british offset overlock (embossed "W up-arrow D") on my jeep CJ5 in the mid-late 1980's all the time.. One day a senior NCO from HHC S2 accused me of stealing that can from the unit, as he was newly in charge of security and said a lot of cans were missing.. I pointed out it clearly was a british can and asked if battalion inventory showed any jerrycans embossed 1953 with a british "war department" insignia, as in all the previous 10 years I had never seen anything but "US"-marked screw-top steel jerrycans in the (CONUS) Army .. The jerk was dumbfounded for a second and then countered by asking me if I had a hand receipt for the can.. I told him yes I did and that he was welcome to come to my place to have a good time digging thru boxes of receipts, and then i walked away shaking my head... The next day a runner tells me the HHC CO wants to see me... The CO tells me "i don't give a flying "fudge" even if you had an actual unit can, the guy is driving everyone nuts, especially me !! ..." So what do I do? I had a 1940's screw-top US jerrycan with a blown-out rotted bottom i had grabbed at the town dump the year prior.. So I painted it fresh merdc forest green, stenciled it for the BN courtesy of the OMS shop, and put it on my CJ5 anytime I expected to be at the HHC building.. I didn't hear about "cans" ever again. Unfortunately he didn't take the bait . :LOL:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks