• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jiffy Lube As a Source....NOT!

panshark

If I were scraping the barrel for used oil, I would be trying to get oil from volunteer fire departments, salvage yards (drain it yourself) or maybe the small repair garages that might not see oil changes as a main source of business, but change oil as a matter of course.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know for a fact large chains will not distribute their waste fluids to anyone but contracted venders. Sears, Wally-World, etc all say the same thing across the state. It sucks. My local VFD and agencies wont give out their oils either. Things are just tight. Mom & Pop shops in small towns have been easy going for me. Spreading the word to friends and neighbors has actually gained me about 30 gallons of WMO and a few barrels for storage.

I'd like to add to the opportunity list.

About a year ago, an employee from an oil company located within my state offered to let me have 500 gallons of free fuel, totes included, due to the fact that the fuel was contaminated with some other petrol...they were just storing it. I turned down the offer, I had enough fuel on my hands at the time. However, it's a bold enough move that might just work for a lot of guys. Call up a fuel delivery company, ask them if they've got any dirty stuff just sitting around that you can help them deal with. Better yet, show up in person.
How did you go about asking them? Did you call the site's office and speak to a site manager?

I seem to recall airports are a source for fuel. The way I understand it, if they drain the fuel out of a airplane it is considered contaminated and can't be reused. A deuce will run fine on jet fuel.
With security measures these days how viable of an opportunity is this? I have a local airport nearby and they are quite friendly but who'd manage such authority to give permission?

panshark

fuzzytoaster; said:
How did you go about asking them? Did you call the site's office and speak to a site manager?
I had one of the operations decision-makers at my desk for a loan. His company delivers to gas stations, farms etc. He told me that their "refuse" included something that started with "meth" (Methane?Methanol?) that he said made the fuel useless as far as he knew. The way he described it, the stuff was a liability for him.

I think if you cold call a jobber and ask for their hazmat liquids they will run for cover. Think: charismatic, extrovert, etc. Start at the bottom, chat with gas station clerks regarding what they do when their customers fill up their diesels with gasoline. Find out what works, what doesn't. Then move up to bigger fish.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know for a fact Safety Clean will come pump out the used fluids for $1.00 a gallon. Its kinda up to the oil change place if he likes them or not or if he likes you over them.

Same price to them and cash in the mgrs pocket if they deal with YOU.

rickf

You guiy's are overlooking the main reason for the big oil change places selling back used oil. The oil companies re-refine the oil and sell it as the el-cheapo brands. Many years ago you could buy "Re-refined" oil. I had a Ford Galaxie that had a bad rear main seal and it used as much oil as it did gas. The re-refined stuff was less than a dollar a gallon and that was what I bought, gallons of it. Now they don't sell it as re-refined, it is the off brand stuff you see in the convenience stores and Wally world type of places. Big oil has got to be the only place that can sell the same product twice!

Rick

rickf

I know for a fact Safety Clean will come pump out the used fluids for $1.00 a gallon. Its kinda up to the oil change place if he likes them or not or if he likes you over them.

Same price to them and cash in the mgrs pocket if they deal with YOU.
Don, I know that here in NJ the shop HAS to keep on file records of where every gallon of waste oil went. If you want to give them a receipt then it is legal for the shop to give it to you but it then becomes your responsibility to prove where the contaminated oil was disposed of. Burning it is NOT an option! Burning it in a barrel or an engine is the same thing, still releases toxins from the oil into the air. EPA will slam you hard!

Rick

3dAngus

Farms. And if you get to know one farmer on a large farm, he can put you on others who have the same disposal problems. You would be welcome at most farms, but might find a mixture of ingredients in their waste containers.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With security measures these days how viable of an opportunity is this? I have a local airport nearby and they are quite friendly but who'd manage such authority to give permission?
I don't know how easy it is to get because I haven't tried. I have heard other members say they got some contaminated jet fuel for their deuce. I'd say you'd either have to work at the airport or have some sort of contact at the airport to pull it off.

I do have several contacts at the small local airport. Maybe I should hit them up for some fuel. Don't think they do much jet work there though.

eagle4g63

It seems that I never hear anyone mention one of the spots I get some from......your local Golf course!!! They have to change their own oil and work on their mowers regularly...They call me every time they need the barrel emptied in their shop. Plus they have a lot of hydraulic equipment.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
One of my airplane-owning friends gave me a barrel about half full of nasty old avgas. Well the barrel is just on loan, but the avgas is mine to play with. I figure I can use it to thin down the WMO I've been accumulating (about 3/4 of a barrel so far). I haven't tried filtering or using the stuff yet. I wonder if WMO thinned out with old gasoline would work ok in a 6.2 without any diesel in the mix? I wouldn't try it in my HMMWV, but I have a few nearly disposable CUCVs to experiment with...

A

A/C Cages

Just go empty a quart out of your neighbors truck or car once a day and tell them it must be leaking or smokeing it out. lol
Once a day they pour a quart back in it and you can tap it again. lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks