• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

John Deere 1020 engine problem

Banshee365

Hey guy's, got a generic diesel engine question for yall. 3 cyl. John Deere 1020 engine refuses to run longer than a few seconds. Starts up great and slowly dies out. It sounds to me like it's running out of fuel pressure to where the injectors quit firing. The IP was rebuilt under 50 hours ago. Taking the line off the IP from the filter and mechanical pump, it gushes fuel out when you hold the starter. At first I thought the mechanical fuel pump was bad but not when he said it gushed fuel. I'm wandering if the IP is failing again and isn't putting out enough pressure. Maybe the injectors are clogged? How can you check and/or clean them out. Can you remove an injector and crank the engine to see how it fires? Thanks again guy's and let the opinions flow. ;)

-Kelly

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I can't help you with this, but I will bet these guys can.

www.weekendfreedommachines.com

Great Q & A forum.

I just checked the forum and it appears to be down, might want to try it in a few hours. I know the web address I posted is correct.

Banshee365

Hey Jeff. The engine does have a start/stop selenoid built into the IP and you can hear it click when you turn the key on. With the lines pulled off the injectors and cranking the engine, a small ammount of fuel squirts out of the lines at equal ammounts. The tractor starts up for a few seconds and slowly dies out. The fuel filter seems pretty clear and clean. It's really hard to tell what's wrong. I tried to pull out the injectors but they look pressed in and look to require a special tool to remove. Thanks again guy's.

-Kelly

Deuceswild

Kelly,

Can you confirm the fuel shut off solenoid is open ( allowing fuel to flow ) while cranking the engine? and if so can you see a noticeable difference in the fuel being sprayed out of the injector lines while cranking the engine versus the amount being sprayed when the engine starts to die?
Jeff.

Banshee365

We were working on pulling the fuel line off one injector and run the engine on 2 cyls to watch the flow but the pos. end on the starter solenoid broke in half so I have to fix that first. On another tractor forum someone mentioned a housing pressure regulator that could be clogged on the IP. We'll try that.

-Kelly

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's a Bosch or pintle type injector, i've seen the spring on top of the pintle break, allowing the compressoin back into the fuel system. Depending on the spring, being broken or just deciding to loose some of it's tension, it will start and idle for a bit, start running rough, start smoking white then die, or flat out won' t start. If it won't start, loosen the lines at the injectors so you can push then to the side and see if you can see smoke pushing out the end where the line goes. If it starts and stops, loosen 1 line at a time and run it to see if it will stay running. It makes a mess though. Good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks