• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

John Tennis (Jatonka) Trucks

SasquatchSanta

Ain't it great when we buy something from somebody and they meet and exceed your quality expectations! It's even better when the product they deliver confirms a gut feeling we had about a seller --- especially when the item we purchased involves a substantial amount of money.

We tend to raise hell when a transaction goes sour and yet, when things go right we seldom say anything. I guess you could say that most of us are better at knocking windows out than we are at putting them back in.

About a year ago I bought one of from John Tennis's custom built "Jatonka" trucks. I've always been delighted with the truck but, like most of us, I didn't take the time to say so.

Today everything came to critical mass --- it's time to break silence.

Experience has taught me that 39 year old vehicles normally need seals and lots of other attention so in preperation for winter I decided to pull the hubs and replace the seals, wheel cylinders, and anything else that might look the least bit threatening.

One by one, hub by hub,to my pleasant surprise, I found that John had already installed all new parts on every corner of the truck. When we got it opened up it was like we were looking at a new truck.

"Thanks John for going the extra mile." There'll be no lumps of coal in your stocking this Christmas from Ole Sasquatch Santa.

For all you disbelievers, I'm attaching a picture of what we found to be typical. Also is a picture of my truck --- Jatonka 3.

Attachments

SasquatchSanta

By the time the truck was delivered I had a little over 20K in it.

Considering stock deuces are often bought for $3,500, 20K is indeed a lot of money.

But hold on for just a minute --- factor this in:

The average stock deuce doesn't have a winch, air power steering, lockout front hubs, air shift, oversized wheels & tires, new hard top, new paint & upholstery, tune-up, new fluids, new brakes, new rear pinion brake and a professional conversion from 6X6 to 4X4 w/M105 trailer bed.

Building a bobbed deuce is fun to think about but it takes lifting, rigging and welding equipment to do the job. It also takes a tremendous amount of labor. I've built M37s but wasn't ready to take on the heavy lifting involved with shortening a deuce.

When I made the decision to buy my truck I was considering building another M37 to use as a daily driver. A 65MPH M37 (Hercules Diesel, 489s and all the necessary transmission, transfer case, wiring, sheet metal and painting work etc., etc.) will easily cost 15K in parts alone.

Having said this, I'm thinking about building a bobbed open top two seater deuce (parade vehicle) that will look like an oversized WC-56 Command Car http://www.midwestmil.com/42wc56sale.html

I'd rather drive a deuce.

alphadeltaromeo

Can you provide more pics...such as the interior, under the truck and under the hood. Would be really nice to see those parts as well, if not too much trouble.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks