• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

just bought 2 MEP-701A

R0E0D

I just bought my first 2 military toys from GL MEP-701.
while I was waiting for the auction to close I was doing a lot of searching here on steel soldiers
and well now I have hit a search overload I plan on having someone from my trucking company where I work pick the 2 up and hopefully have them on the docs waiting for me by this week or next week does anybody have some links to the TM manual of what I need to look at and read and what is the procedure for when you first get it home before you ever fired up for 1 of these models I have also read do not use the convenience outlet well I'm going to be stupid and ask why not and is there anyting else I should and shouldn't do

and please forgive my 2 year olds phone's voice to speech text feature
but tell you the truth I'm worse off than the phone
smart ass phone

derf

Convenience outlet only taps a portion of one output stage. You can use it all you want but you can't use it and expect to get 4500W power.
TM links are posted in other threads.
Most have Onan power but some have been updated to Yanmar MEP-016E power. If it has a pull rope for starting option then it is a Yanmar.

Isaac-1

The panel mounted outlet may be wired with very small (20-22 gauge) wire, not rated for the full 15-20 amp output of the outlet, many of these units have been rewired when the outlets were replaced, often in ways not matching the wiring diagrams.

Ike

derf

You can always re-wire the conv outlet but it is probably easier to just make a whip and put a 4x4 box on the end with a couple of 120V duplex 20A outlets.

derf

701A will be either Onan (original) or Yanmar (updated to 016E) powered. Yanmar engines have a pull rope for starting. The Onans do not.

R0E0D

ok i got both gen set's home and now working on one. the other oil drain pipe was just broke off but i have it. trying to find some way to find a new fittings for the part that holds to the frame. the other one i got new bat for it. add oil look it over add fuel and use jumpers to hook the bat to the gen set. turn the switch and away she go. only on the 3rd turn over any how i now look over all volts all ok but the bat charging volts. now this is a new 24 battery and i am geting 29 and 35 at that point i killed it. i do not want to blow up $140 just yet. what is the max charging volts for a mep701a what is overvoltage charging? i looked and looked at the tm but i never find what i look for on charging volts or this. i was in charge of a lot of gen set's for a job sight form hooking up to fueling and keeping the job sight power on. now after years i drive a truck and can not recall L1 L2 L3 and i think it was L4 or L0. any how i think L1 is 120 hot but i don't know what L is neutral?
and the last thing is i am looking for that AUX fuel line to the jerry can. what is that part called or how can i find one i just need the line i have found the can fuel pick up part?
any help will be good thanks.

derf

Download the TMs.

The output lugs will have different outputs depending on where you set the reconnect switch inside the box. Diagram in the TMs.

Sounds like you might have a bad 24V charging regulator. Troubleshooting and replacement should be in the TMs.

R0E0D

now i just need to find the right tm. i had one but i lost it now i am back to looking and only find other stuff.

Isaac-1

Ok to answer your questions in reverse order, any hydraulic line with the right size JIC connector will work for the remote fuel line, I know the MEP-002a / MEP-003a use -5 JIC fittings, but I think the MEP-016b / MEP 701a uses -4 JIC.

As to the second point, I don't know the exact voltages, but if you see over 29 Volts DC on a fully charged battery then your DC voltage regulator is shot, there is an ebay seller that has the current revsion of this part listed by part number, priced at around $100, it may not look like the one in your unit, but is a drop in replacement, fine print on the wires match the old wires. I had to change one out on my MEP-701a last year, it would start up around 28VDC, then creep up to 34VDC over a couple of minutes with a fully charged battery, I was not lucky and did not catch this until it had killed one of those expensive 24V batteries (worked out when I bought the generator from GL, just went bad about a year or so later).

search ebay using "84-13183 regulator"

there is a rule here not to link to ebay auctions, even if they are multi item buy it nows.

Ike

Last edited:

R0E0D

Ok to answer your questions in reverse order, any hydraulic line with the right size JIC connector will work for the remote fuel line, I know the MEP-002a / MEP-003a use -5 JIC fittings, but I think the MEP-016b / MEP 701a uses -4 JIC.

As to the second point, I don't know the exact voltages, but if you see over 29 Volts DC on a fully charged battery then your DC voltage regulator is shot, there is an ebay seller that has the current revsion of this part listed by part number, priced at around $100, it may not look like the one in your unit, but is a drop in replacement, fine print on the wires match the old wires. I had to change one out on my MEP-701a last year, it would start up around 28VDC, then creep up to 34VDC over a couple of minutes with a fully charged battery, I was not lucky and did not catch this until it had killed one of those expensive 24V batteries (worked out when I bought the generator from GL, just went bad about a year or so later).

search ebay using "84-13183 regulator"

there is a rule here not to link to ebay auctions, even if they are multi item buy it nows.

Ike
yes thanks isaac i did read a bout that. that is why i had one multimeter clamped to the jumper cables. to keep a eye on volts i have 2 701a. i pulled out the reg off my other one that is well so so looking and put it on my good one. looks like new wires inside and 800hrs. any how it worked held at 24 25 flux. but only for 1 min and started back up to 30 31 32 33 34 35 i cut the fuel.
i feel like kicking my self in the ass as i just think i burnt up a good one. if i just pull out the dc reg and run with out one completely will that make something else burn? how can i cut the dc charging? i see the 84-13183 regulator on ebay but i do not want to fork out 200 bucks just yet. yes i like 2 double up on everything and thanks a lot for that JIC fittings.

R0E0D

well i like to say i did something and now it works but don't know what i did. /--\ now starts and holds at 25.09 volts. i think i did good for $1000 one working and one with good parts. i will take it down to a hydraulic shop monday and have a hose made up or just find the fittings. what hose size am i looking for i want to say 1/2in ID or OD not sure? but fuel lines on a 53foot refer i want to say 3/4 and it is a 3 or 4 cylinder engine.
any one here have a good tm for a mep-701a i just keep finding junk on google. i have worked on this thing by only what i know and a bit of help from you guys.

Last edited:

Isaac-1

I would keep an eye on those DC volts, see if watever it is stays "fixed", as to the hose size, there are semi standard match ups with the various fitting sizes, I think something in the 5/16th inch is common for the one in question. I think that is what I have set up on mine with about a 15 ft suction side length. This allows me to have the generator outside the shed in my back yard and keep the 55 gallon drum of diesel inside where it is less likely to grow legs. For longer runs you might want a little larger diameter, even then I can't imagine and advantage of much over 3/8th inch.

Ike

p.s. have them use swivel fittings on both ends, it makes life much easier

R0E0D

thanks for the help with the aux fuel line. as for the charger it never will go over 25.90 the bat shows 24.80 to 25.00 no load or charging. i started and stoped to put a load and run it down a bit and restarted. it never got over 25.90 after 15min keeping an eye on it. it started to go down and held at 25.10 or 25.9 i know a 24 volt bat needs a min of +1 volt to charge. as all bat's do pull out 10 amps you got to put back in 20 amp's to replace that 10.
back to the gen set my gut don't think it is working but my mind say look at the volts. and in that 15 min i did not see the boiling of the bat. i will see how it all works in the morning cold.

R0E0D

yep need a new dc reg that one is doing the same thing. all the way up to 35volts so now i got to throw 100 bucks at it and hope it will not burn it up

R0E0D

well something new just poped up. when cold started it will start to over charge. so i flip the battery disconnect switch. and started the load testing with small air compressor and 2500 watts of lights. never got over 50% on the load meter. i found after a bit the gen set cut out 5 or 10 min. so i look at the oil level not that was good restarted working cut the batt and it ran and then cut out. so i found it stops making the power to run and run's off the batt. any one know how or what may be the cause of this 24 volt cut out?

working on my mep-701a and well curiosity killed the cat. and a power box.

:deadhorse:

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks