• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just bought a M1112 Water Trailer

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I won a M1112 Water Trailer from Gov. Planet and picked it up with my M35A2C . The (8) eight tires all needed to be inflated and the trailer brakes did not work. But the tank was empty so I towed it home.

I soon found out there were few to no places to get any parts for this trailer. I managed to find two thirds of one manual and 100% of another for this trailer. The master cylinder was absolutely frozen. The emergency glad hand hose leaked, one of the air filter clamps was broken, the vacuum breaker on the tank top and tank bottom drain plug were missing, each fender had minor bent corners to be straightened, the emergency brakes did not stop the wheels from turning, some of the air hose straps are broken or missing. but the trailer was in really great shape and the tank insides are immaculate.

Well.....I found an after market stainless steel tank plug for the bottom $15.81,
I found an after market Vacuum breaker (3/8") atmosphere equalizing vent plug that is the same size as the original for $9.81

I adjusted all (8) wheel brakes, which fixed the emergency brake problem.

The master cylinder was frozen (rust accumulation at the end that connects with the air chamber due to moisture accumulation and seepage into the end of the cylinder chamber. The 95-120 lbs of air brake pressure could not budge the cylinder piston. After 24-48 hours of banging, soaking in frozen part solutions, etc. I finally got it apart, cleaned up, and reinstalled.

What a surprise...the internals were like new! The cylinder piston o-ring and pressure cup were all like new. It was only the rust and crud at the very end of the cylinder piston that stopped things from moving freely. I honed the cylinder lightly and removed all the rust and crud to shiny new and the brakes work perfect!

Did not take pic's of the master cylinder fix (simply forgot to). But here are some pic's of he M1112 at Herlong military base, Ca., Gov Planet Yard.

M1112 Water Trailer  Herlong ,Ca Govt Planet yard 2.jpgM1112 Water Trailer  Herlong ,Ca Govt Planet yard 1.jpg

Last edited:

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats great! I just picked up an M149 trailer up there a week ago. They had more than 50 water tank trailers parked for auctions so there will be plenty coming out soon. I haven't had a chance to start tearing into mine yet. If y9ou have links for the stainless steel plug, I need one as well.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A couple recent threads on these for you to read through .

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Porky, is this TM in the TM Forum? If not, do you want to upload it? Or should I?
I don't know if it is in the TM section or not , I found it searching for the other threads I posted . I remembered seeing the master cylinder thread a short time ago but couldn't find it searching the trailer forum , so changed the search to the whole forum and it popped up so I included it .

Edit : It looks like it's from the TM section
1681042666157.png

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I actually found an original mint condition tank lid seal. Scooped it up as a spare. I have not tested the current seal for leakage as yet. Need to sanitize then fill with water,

The seal was a pricey $70.00 but I wanted the OE replacement.

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I won a M1112 Water Trailer from Gov. Planet and picked it up with my M35A2C . The (8) eight tires all needed to be inflated and the trailer brakes did not work. But the tank was empty so I towed it home.

I soon found out there were few to no places to get any parts for this trailer. I managed to find two thirds of one manual and 100% of another for this trailer. The master cylinder was absolutely frozen. The emergency glad hand hose leaked, one of the air filter clamps was broken, the vacuum breaker on the tank top and tank bottom drain plug were missing, each fender had minor bent corners to be straightened, the emergency brakes did not stop the wheels from turning, some of the air hose straps are broken or missing. but the trailer was in really great shape and the tank insides are immaculate.

Well.....I found an after market stainless steel tank plug for the bottom $15.81,
I found an after market Vacuum breaker (3/8") atmosphere equalizing vent plug that is the same size as the original for $9.81

I adjusted all (8) wheel brakes, which fixed the emergency brake problem.

The master cylinder was frozen (rust accumulation at the end that connects with the air chamber due to moisture accumulation and seepage into the end of the cylinder chamber. The 95-120 lbs of air brake pressure could not budge the cylinder piston. After 24-48 hours of banging, soaking in frozen part solutions, etc. I finally got it apart, cleaned up, and reinstalled.

What a surprise...the internals were like new! The cylinder piston o-ring and pressure cup were all like new. It was only the rust and crud at the very end of the cylinder piston that stopped things from moving freely. I honed the cylinder lightly and removed all the rust and crud to shiny new and the brakes work perfect!

Did not take pic's of the master cylinder fix (simply forgot to). But here are some pic's of he M1112 at Herlong military base, Ca., Gov Planet Yard.
Kind Sir......would you happen to have a link or part number for the vacuum breaker plug. Mine is missing and I am not finding anything using the NSN or part number listed in the TM. Thanks in advance

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I posted a reply today on your original post where you stated you were looking for a vacuum equalizer plug for the lid.

I had the same problem and spent a lot of time finding a suitable stainless drain plug and tank breather.

I used this vacuumn relief fixture on my M1112 water buffalo and it works great. (Click on the www.ebay.com link at the bottom)

24 March 2023 purchased American Made 3/8” Breather vent vacuum =$10.54
relief pressure equalization filter E-Bay Sellerocity

1709141798964.png

American Made 3/8" Breather Vent Vacuum Relief Pressure Equalization Filter | eBay
Noise muffling during pressure equalization. First, we are incredibly easy going and understanding. Cylinders, valves, crank cases, gear boxes, oil tanks, reservoirs, air tools. Very popular in space limited applications due to low profile.

www.ebay.com

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trailer gone over 100%.
New gates brake supply air hose's
Master cylinder removed and reinstalled after repairing
New vacuum relief valve
New stainless steel drain valve
Emergency brakes adjusted, inspected
All eight wheels brake shoes adjusted
Air leak on one wheel repaired
Wheels checked for sufficient bearing grease
Bent wheel fenders straightened, welded
All electrical checked and cut in trailer electric cable repaired
Lubricated all designated lube points and trailer landing gear
Replaced missing or broken air and electrical cable clamps
Placed new data plates or warning deals as needed at all designated locations
Touched up tank and trailer camo paint as needed (all three colors)
Rust prevention used on water valve cover hinges and anywhere that rust was found on trailer. Then the treated area was painted
All faucets and water flow valves inspected and in working order.

Finished trailer pictures below:

2023 May M112 Water Trailer complete 1.JPG2023 May M112 Water Trailer complete 2.JPG2023 May M112 Water Trailer complete 3.JPG2023 May M112 Water Trailer complete 4.JPG2023 May M112 Water Trailer complete 5.JPG2023 May M112 Water Trailer complete 6.JPG2023 May M112 Water Trailer complete 7.JPG2023 May M112 Water Trailer complete 8.JPG2023 May M112 Water Trailer complete 9.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks