• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just bought my first CUCV

SabreScout

Hey there ,

Just yesterday i finally found and bought my very first CUCV!!!!!!!!!!!!
While i'm sure all of you know how damn happy i am,I need some help from ya'll.My CUCV is in damn fine condition,only minor dings in the tailgate.If anybody could let me know where to find service records for my particular CUCV,parts lists and maybe where to buy a large amount of OD green paint i'd surely appreciate it.Thanks and i hope this site is as good as it looks to be :twisted:

SabreScout

Oh and i suppose since ya'll are THE authority on military vehicles(mechanics and "experts" lie).....is there anything i should know about CUCV's?I bought mine as a work truck and the dealer i bought it from didn't even know it was a military vehicle.......when i was climbing in to give it a test-drive i knew that i was going to buy it.He swore it only had 37,300 miles and was trying to sell it to me for 9,000$.But after i finally convinced him that a 1985 "chevy" truck with only 37k miles was pretty much as rare as a 5'2 white guy who plays pro basketball i talked him down to 2000$.ok...ok...one last question.....my CUCV for some reason is white on white on white...with OD on the inside....whats the best option on painting? Do i need to invest in an air-sprayer setup or are spraycans good enough? it's going to be a daily driver and i will be offroading as well.

Desert Rat

I'd go for a sand blasting option and get rid of the white completely. Start over with a good primer and then paint it. Gilespie has some awesome paints. A cheap sprayer should do you well for this project. That's what I'm planning for both the M1009 my wife has and the four door I have. She wants a desert cammo and I am not fond of the USAF blue on my truck either.

CCATLETT1984

Parts lists can be found in the tech manual section of the site, along with the complete service and repair manuals.

I would check the alternators, they are one of the parts that usually wear out, they are standard 12v 100amp alts. but the drivers side alt. has an isolated ground. (any shop that does alts can rebuild them.) just check with a multimeter. should have 12v from pass. alt to the block and 24v from the drivers alt. to the block.

n1vbn

CCATLETT1984 said:
Parts lists can be found in the tech manual section of the site, along with the complete service and repair manuals.

I would check the alternators, they are one of the parts that usually wear out, they are standard 12v 100amp alts. but the drivers side alt. has an isolated ground. (any shop that does alts can rebuild them.) just check with a multimeter. should have 12v from pass. alt to the block and 24v from the drivers alt. to the block.
Ya got it reversed there. 12 volt output from the drivers side alt and 24 volt output to the 24 volt buss bar on the firewall....that is the big one on top is positive and thge little buss bar underneath it is the negative.

Both alts from the factory came with isolated grounds but in a pinch you can use a stock (civilian) alt on the drivers side only. The passenger side alt recieves 14 volts from alt number one (drivers side) thru the isolated ground stud on the rear of the alt and adds 14 volts to it to output 28 volts to the buss bar.

Simple way to tell them apart is look at the drivers side and take notice of the ground wire connected to the ground stud to the intake manifold. Alt number two (passenger side) recieves power from alt number one thru the isolated ground stud.

The output of alt number one is split between alt number two and battery number one. Everything electrical in a CUCV is 12 volt except the starter motor, voltage meter on the dash, resitance grid behind the air cleaner, and the starter relay under the dash...everything else is 12 volt running off alt number one.