• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just got USMC M38a1…could it have been in Air Force?

Tuna406

Just gave myself an early Christmas present…

I know there’s been many posts on colors, but I just bought a 1962 USMC M38a1 that is super original and I have a few questions.

1. There’s some evidence of a layer of blue (strata-ish) paint on the Jeep. Is it possible the USAF received M38a1’s from the USMC that late in the life of that type of Jeep? I understand some USMC jeeps were transferred to the Air Force…

2. I haven’t yet scraped where the engine serial is located, but I gotta believe it’s original to this jeep. It’s painted a nauseating lime green. I’ve seen the color on more than one survivor M38a1….is that correct?

3. How rare is this late model M38a1? If it is possible it went to the Air Force I’d love to paint it strata blue, but I’m kind of a purist and want it close to its original self.

Thanks

Cheers!

Charlie

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow that is very original and unmolested.
Quite possible the USAF had it. Heaters are a AF thing, USMC just froze and LIKED IT.
Never seen that engine color before on an Army or USMC Jeep. The serial number on the engine matched the vin from the factory, but quickly became disassociated when engine swaps happened.
All M38A1s are getting rarer by the day, and the late production USMC trucks with the positrac front axle are extra special. Gloss
Strata blue paint jobs are 100 times more prep than a flat USMC color. Up to you.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am having trouble believing the Air Force wanted any equipment that came from the USMC. It just seems so unnatural.
What seemed to happen is this: USMC orders say 20,000 M38A1 Jeeps from Kaiser. Then someone at DoD says “Air Force needs 1000 of them, divert the shipment”. Then Air Force has a depot paint them strata blue and off they go to flightlines. This would happen before USMC ever even had a chance to use them. The Jeeps would of course be trashed after the first day if they did lol.

Last edited:

JEB

Yes, it could have been diverted from the USMC.
One question I would have us what year is it?
If it's a 1953, there is more likelyhood of the USAF getting an emergency diversion because of the war.
Remember, the AF probably had fewer Jeeps than the Marines.
If it's a later truck, I think a diversion is less likely because all things being equal, the Marines needed Jeeps far more than the Air Force.

The USAF used them for ground Forward Air Controllers and security police use.
I grew up on air bases in the 50-60s and I can't recall seeing ome.

Another possibility...and I think this one is far more probable...
It WAS a USMC Jeep, but after being surplussed in the 60s-70s, it was given to the Civil Air Patrol...The USAF auxiliary which is best known for aircraft search efforts.I
A CAP unit got it, pained it blue. They also receive many d their vehicles from USAF surplus stocks...so there is history for that type of thing happening.

Last edited:

Tuna406

All good points…the Jeep is a 1962 model…The heater definitely looks installed by the military…there’s a switch and placard on the dash. Thx for the comments….I may just paint it strata blue either way…

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks