• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just won another MEP... this time a 003AAS

ssybert

I was so happy with my first MEP-002a I bid on and won a MEP-003AAS. I live in a small neighborhood where extended generator noise may become a problem. You guys weren't kidding... that 002a is L O U D.

I'm heading to NJ tomorrow to pick up the 003AAS. I can't wait to see how much quieter this is with the A.S.K.

Also, I did the upgrade on the fuel system posted by aother member. I absolutely recommend it. It's a pain to get hoses made up with having the spin on filter with the water drain is hands down a better way to go than the triple elements.

I'll post pictures and let everyone know how it works out when I get cracking on it Friday.

Regards,
Scott

ssybert

Let me clarify... I did the fuel mod on my current 002a and it worked out flawlessly. If you plan on keeping the unit for yourself, spinon filters are the way to go. I am very happy with my results.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ssybert said:
I was so happy with my first MEP-002a I bid on and won a MEP-003AAS. I live in a small neighborhood where extended generator noise may become a problem. You guys weren't kidding... that 002a is L O U D.
Maybe I'm immune to it from working in the steel mills too long, but I have a 2 MEP-003a's and I don't think that they are any louder than my diesel tractor when I'm mowing the yard. I don't expect them to be as quiet as a new honda or one of the other portable gennys. but I don't think that are too bad. Again, maybe it's just me.

Good luck with the new one, I hope she works out for ya. and as always

nopics

BBoomerBootCamp,
nice looking sets you got there, I'm sure you'll get lots of enjoyment out of them. I sure like mine.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Tech Manuals for the MEP-002a are

TM5-6115-584-12
TM5-6115-584-24P
TM5-6115-584-34

The manuals are here on the site in the resources section under tech manuals. The ones you need are about 5 pages into the list. They are all there except for the -24P, which is the parts manual. If you need that one send me a pm with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you, or any of the others for that matter if you need them.

Avn-Tech

Group,

I also have lots of Generator manuals if someone out there needs copies. I am currenty working on an Excel spreadsheet listing generators and manuals to post on my web site (when it gets updated).

Laterrrr
Avn-Tech

Armada

Maybe I'm immune to it from working in the steel mills too long, but I have a 2 MEP-003a's and I don't think that they are any louder than my diesel tractor when I'm mowing the yard. I don't expect them to be as quiet as a new honda or one of the other portable gennys. but I don't think that are too bad. Again, maybe it's just me.
:ditto: They're also alot quieter than the military gas equivilant genset. I added an ASK to my mep002 and in my opinion it didn't make that much of a difference. A little, but not worth the expense or trouble of putting one on. But that's just me.

ssybert

Ok... just got home from my 670mile trek to pick up the genset. Upon arrival I noticed extensive damage to the sound reduction box affixed to the back of the squirl cage. The pictures represented a perfect enclosure. Apparently there is a claims process I now need to go through. I had time to do a quick inspection on site and found the following:

The unit is a 1992 model.
The control panel was replaced with controls off an '83
The fuel tank is full of fuel.... and rust. The bottom of the cap has flakes of rust on it.
The oil is full and very clean.
One of the fuel strainer bowls is missing entirely.
The battery door is missing.
The batteries are completely and 100% dead (not a blink from the panel lamp)
The clock reads 63 hours.

I'm a little aprehensive about cranking the motor. I believe this unit has not been run in almost 15 years. Judging by the conditon of the fuel tank, the missing parts and the low number of hours... it's likely been sitting very long time.

I want to confirm the engine isn't siezed before I start going through it... any thoughts on jumping it from my MEP-002a to just confirm the engine turns?

Another question... anyone have any suggestions on cleaning out the fuel tank? On my mep002a I just emptied it and flushed (and shook the hell out of it) it with gasoline a few times then diesel until it emptied clean. Is there a better way?

It's late and dark here so I'll get pics tomorrow. I'm sure you guys want to see the beast!!

I'll post again tomorrow.

Scott

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To give the engine a quick check, if it's not too hard to get to, take off the rear panel and remove the squirrel cage cover to give you access to the fan in the back of the engine. Take a 5/8 in socket and try to turn the engine by have clockwise. It should move pretty easily. If it's full of oil and looks clean though, you're probably ok.

Don't judge the running condition by the hour meter or the condition of the fuel tank. If you picked it up from Chambersburg, PA that's where they do a lot of major maintenance on the sets. The hour meter could have been replaced, and not tagged like it's supposed to be. If the panel was replaced that's more than likely to happen, they're not going to replace a panel and then swap out the original hour meter just to keep the hours straight. Keep in mind, that they don't care so much about total cumulative hours as they do about hours running for general maintenance, like oil changes.

Also, that fuel tank could have been one laying around outside and got rusty. Don't assume that the stuff inside is entirely fuel either. My one, had no cap on it and was full of water and fuel, but you couldn't really tell the difference till you dumped it out. If you're judging the condition of the tank by the cap...don't My one set has a very rusty cap but the inside of the tank is spotless. remember...diesel is a petroleum product....a natural rust inhibitor. unless they left it open to the elements with no cap on in and no fuel in it, it might be ok. I would recommend draining it and checking it out really closely.

I hope this helps, from the sound of it you got a pretty good set. just take your time and go through things one step at a time.

and by the way....
nopics

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks