• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kenny's M275

papercu

M275

Kenny take a look at this splash shield and see if it is the same as on your tractor. According to the TM your right and left should interchange but this one looks as if it will only go on one side. TIA Wayne

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: M275

Wayne, that one is different. Looks like a 5 ton one. Bad for me but the deuce tractor ones seem to be rare as hens teeth.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys, The motor in Kenny's truck looks like something out of Hot Rod Magazine! That trucks runs very well...and I've NEVER heard another whistler scream like that truck! Not only does it sound great, but that truck pulls harder than any deuce I've driven. (Kenny...let the boys know what they are missing!)

alphadeltaromeo

Kenny

nopics

But in all seriousness, I'd really like some pics and your thoughts about why your deuce performs so stellar

Eagerly willing to learn,

Andy

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deuce tractors are rated to pull 30,000#. Getting 30,000# to highway speed might be a little tough. I've moved 40,000# around the block before but was trying to get up to speed with it. I dunno why, it's just an exceptional running truck. Bruce, it's not as nice as it was when you had it, it's had some bad luck being around me and the sun is taking its toll. Drivers door has some rust now too. Saving to get a new door from Winslow I hope. A few leaks on the engine have made a little mess as well. Its still a great running truck and will be making the trip to Aberdeen again this year. Dave, yep, same truck!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a picture of Kenny's tractor from back when I owned it. It actually shows the truck as a non-turbo...before John Winslow did the turbo coversion for me. I honestly hated to see that truck go...but I knew it was going to a good home!

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures of the motor. Maybe, Kenny has them. I vaguely remember taking pictures for Kenny, but I might be mistaken since I normally keep all the pictures I take and I don't have them in my file.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A couple of things that effect performance and may play a role in Kenny's truck.

1) Timing, did John Winslow retard it? If not, then by firing early in the cycle, the engine may develop more torque (argument anyone?), although the engine may also suffer from preignition under the wrong circumstances.

2) Did John change the smoke cam angle? Probably not, which means that there is slightly more fuel delivery, the angle was set differently on the turbo version to reduce smoke.

3) Weight. The M275A2 is only 12,600 lb with winch, giving it about 90 lb/hp compared to 100 or more for cargo deuces.

My HIAB deuce weighs over 17,000 lb empty, but performs like a champ (my multi was also N/A at one time).

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn,
I am not sure the answers to your questions, but I believe he did the installation correctly so I would assume he did. I know that truck does not smoke much, which would be a sign that the fuel was turned up.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I asked Winslow about the timing change. He said he did not change the timing. Figuring that I'm probably correct in assuming that he did not change the smoke cam angle either. I never really considered all this after I bought it but I do know. Ignorance is bliss and I've ran the truck pretty hard for some long distances including the 700 mile day in 2005 with 15,000# on the back. After all that I figure that whereever it's at must be acceptable as the thing is still running. One day I'll get the old pyro on it