• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Killswitch Install

asendi

Hey Guys,

After a few years of having my CUCV project on hold, I'm finally getting it sorted and out the door. I had a question about where and how to install a killswitch. The old GMs are notorious for disappearing as of late in the city and I'd like to just ensure I have a little bit of protection without making a mess of things. I just did the doghead relay upgrade and wanted to install a switch to that relay.

So here are my thoughts... I picked up a switch panel that fits in the cigarette tray with two switches and a USB charge port. The idea of that location is that it's out of sight. I wanted to connect the first switch to the starter relay so that in order to start the truck, I'd need to flip the switch on, start it, then turn it off once the truck gets going. Is this a good approach? For the second switch, I was thinking of having it as part of a backup manual glowplug bypass. (I upgraded the glowplug card to the one sold by hillbilly wizard, so I don't feel like I need the manual bypass).

Anyways, looking for insights or thoughts into best approach for the killswitch and if there is a better way. I don't mind flicking two switches to get the car to run, but I don't want the switch to remain in the on position once started.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey Guys,

After a few years of having my CUCV project on hold, I'm finally getting it sorted and out the door. I had a question about where and how to install a killswitch. The old GMs are notorious for disappearing as of late in the city and I'd like to just ensure I have a little bit of protection without making a mess of things. I just did the doghead relay upgrade and wanted to install a switch to that relay.

So here are my thoughts... I picked up a switch panel that fits in the cigarette tray with two switches and a USB charge port. The idea of that location is that it's out of sight. I wanted to connect the first switch to the starter relay so that in order to start the truck, I'd need to flip the switch on, start it, then turn it off once the truck gets going. Is this a good approach? For the second switch, I was thinking of having it as part of a backup manual glowplug bypass. (I upgraded the glowplug card to the one sold by hillbilly wizard, so I don't feel like I need the manual bypass).

Anyways, looking for insights or thoughts into best approach for the killswitch and if there is a better way. I don't mind flicking two switches to get the car to run, but I don't want the switch to remain in the on position once started.
Welcome to the Outfit!

Yes, that would work.
Just breaking the contact on the solenoid will work just fine.
The switch might even be inverted - thinking that somebody would turn a switch OFF to turn it on?

asendi

Welcome to the Outfit!

Yes, that would work.
Just breaking the contact on the solenoid will work just fine.
The switch might even be inverted - thinking that somebody would turn a switch OFF to turn it on?

Ahh that's some great news and I really like that inverted approach.

From what I've read soo far, the relay has a 24v wire and a 12v wire. I also have a 5 pin switch... any help on how to set this up would also be much appreciated. 🙏

asendi

I would suggest putting the switch on the ground wire of the starter relay. That way if the switch ever fails you can hot wire it and not worry about getting a jolt in the process.
Awesome, I think i'll do that. I'll let you know how it works out.

asendi

Awesome, I think i'll do that. I'll let you know how it works out.
So I went back and forth regarding the toggle switch. I have a 5 pin switch, so I wired it up to the 12v wire on the starter instead of the ground. I couldn't think of another way to connect it to the ground wire. I think that would be ok? I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to wire it to the ground. Any help would be appreciated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks