• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

KLR250 Value?

SixSpeed

Banned
Hey Guys,

I was wondering what the MIlitary KLR 250's are worth? I'd call it fair condition, needs a little TLC. What are they worth fixed up/in perfect condition? Thanks!

nhdiesel

I never knew they had a military 250, just the 650 and diesel model. Are you sure its a 250, or do I have to update my tired brain?

Jim

Quite honestly, not much. And this is coming from a guy who put 24k on a KLR650.

It's (I'm guessing here) a KLX 250. Maybe 5 hundo?

It's a pig (not that there's anything wrong with that, I like pigs, just not on 2 wheels). And there are so many cheap dirt bikes out there.

nhdiesel

Interesting! Brain has been sufficiently updated.

I have a dead '06 650. I love riding the bike, but i hate the poor reliability. The power wasn't great, but usable. I wouldn't want to be on a 250 though...

I guess a pic would fit in this site well. No, its not a military model...

HPIM04041.jpg

Jim

What's wrong with it? They are very easy to work on, and I could scan and post a pic of my old one with even more stuff on it than than that. Man that worked me!

nhdiesel

What's wrong with it? They are very easy to work on, and I could scan and post a pic of my old one with even more stuff on it than than that. Man that worked me!
After a roughly 2400 mile trip to Kentucky and back it blew a seal and lost all the oil (drained out low and I never saw it leak), and seized on my way to work. It essentially needs a new engine, and used KLR engines cost a fortune. its just not worth fixing. I can find a used 650 in good shape for $1500, I'm sure not going to spend $1200 on an engine.

I had all the electronics for trips...2 GPS's, Sirius radio, throttle lock, I did the 'doo (650 guys will understand) at 1000 miles and it was already broke. Subframe fasteners were upgraded, lots and lots of little things done. just unemployed right now, so nothing I can afford to do anything with. Its retired out behind the house now, been there for a year since this happened.

Jim

You did everything right. Better off to just by another. That thing is toast. Take your goodies and transfer them.

Brutal. It's hard to kill those bikes, but it is possible, given, well, that.

nhdiesel

I spent lots of time on the KLR forums and upgraded every weak link that was ever mentioned. First oil change was Rotella dino at 500 miles, at 1500 miles I switched to Rotella synthetic and changed it every 2k-3k miles after, usually the shorter end of that except if I was in the middle of a trip.

A couple other things I had done are progressive fork springs, heavy rear shock spring, upgraded headlight wiring and switch to 100w bulb, and a long list of other things. Mefo tires were bought a week before my trip. Those ammo can panniers have a bracket system i built so they are removable by pulling a couple pins. They can be locked in place as well.

Problems I had, but are not limited to: Exhaust fell off 2 months after buying the bike new, dealer wouldn't do anything and claimed abuse. 3 months later I got a recall for exhaust fastener issues. Steering stem nut was constantly loosening, until I finally peened a spot so it wouldn't vibrate loose.

I do miss riding it very much. It was very comfortable, even for long distance riding. Mileage was pretty good, and it handled our rough northern roads very well.

Jim

VBenedetti

I had purchased a KLR250 from an auction at CFB Valcartier back in 2003. It was an ex MP bike in quite a good condition. When I sold the bike ( yeah ... shouldn't have but I didn't know better back then) it went for 3500$. It had 5000km on it and as I said, it was in overall good shape with the hard cases at the back and the blackouts too.

jesusgatos

Unless your interest in motorcycles is limited to MV's, I would pass on that. There are just a lot of motorcycles out there and whether you're looking for something more on or offroad-oriented, there are a lot of other bikes I'd rather be riding. What type of riding DO you want to do?

jterry usaf

GL just sold 3 lots of KLR250-D8s. Each lot had 3 bikes in them and they went for around 3K per lot. I payed 1200 for mine, Replaced all of the seals, Bearings, chain, sprokets, Forks, BO lights. I also did a topend and all drive chains. It runs like a Raped Ape!!!!!!! Great Motorcycle!!! You will enjoy it. John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks