• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kneeling Valve on M-1081 Front Tires.

FloridaAKM

I have searched high & low & can't find the post on how to fix the kneeling valve on the M1081 LMTV front tire. It recommended that the owner pull the tire & gut the kneeling valve of parts & stack dimes & JB weld inside the valve & replace the cover.

The tire lost pressure during several days of hard freezing weather (for Florida) in February. I jacked the tire up & left the axle sitting on dunnage so that the tire wouldn't be destroyed sitting on the rim. When checking for the nail or piece of wire, nothing was found. After cranking the truck to air it up, I found that the kneeling valve was leaking no matter how you turned it. Knowing nothing about it, left it till I could figure it out or find a spare.

Fast forward to today, I see that the truck is sinking into the yard @ the dunnage point & decided to pull the kneeling valve off the wheel. It looks okay to me, so I cleaned it out with wd40 & compressed air. Reassembled & it still leaked air, but not as badly. Removed the valve again & the innermost part has a spring & a valve seat that had chunks of stuff on it. Cleaned all that out with wd 40 & compressed air again & reassembled. Upon starting the truck & building air pressure, the kneeling valve has stopped leaking except for a little bit. I pulled it apart after bleeding off the pressure & replaced the o-ring on the inner valve piece & replaced the assembly. This is getting old.

After cranking the truck & filling the air system, checking the kneeling valve yielded no air leaks @ all. The CTIS showed a solid hwy indicator, so I was able to fix the tire leak with just an o-ring & silicone lube as a lubricant. What a great relief that was. Now I don't have to fill the valve body with dimes & JB Weld. ;-).

Last edited:

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, you unscrew the adjuster, fill it with dimes and epoxy (I don't remember the exact plan), and put back together. Best idea is to just eliminate them, nothing but trouble. All can be done with the wheel on the truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks