• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Knock in engine

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been hearing a knock in my deuce lately. I have driven some with the knock, don't hear it all the time. So I break down and pull the pan, no loose rods, and everything looks good. Sounded like it was coming from the front of the engine, so I am thinking the harmonic balancer is loose, or the rubber has degraded, allowing it to knock around. Anyone had problems with the harmonic balancer, or have any other ideas what might be wrong?

thanks,
Dennis

Last edited:

mendo069

dennis, it could be a few things... try the easiest first, had a similar knocking and i was fearing the worse.. found out it was a combo of water in fuel (diesel) and clogged filters.. thus causing some starvation at the pump.. listen around the pump (injector) for your noise.. add a good additive for removal of water.. truck stops have a good selection.. drain some fuel from filters and see if fuel is floating on top of water..maybe it's just filters... let me know and i'll see if i can help with next step.. p.s. also try to listen around water pump area and let me know.. auto shops have a listening device like a stethascope, very handy for tracking the old mystery noise... dave..

Towerguy1

Im cheep.... Buy a 3' long piece of heater hose Approx 3/4 or 5/8 or so. One end to the ear, one end to "snoop" arround the engine. Works good and is handy to have arround as spare hose. A chunk of garden hose works to if you have a scrap piece arround.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oil pressure is great, pegs the 60 psi gauge cold, and about 55 warm.

I did use a hose when trying to find the knock, and the injector pump sounded fine. I will doulble check, but I think the knock went away when the air compresser was pumping, but the sound is low and on the front of the engine.
Dennis

Last edited:

JohnnyReb

"but I think the knock went away when the air compresser was pumping..." Find this to be strange....

I agree with bomar's suggestion. My compressor makes a noise exactly like an engine knock....

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I have given up on finding the knock for now. Not sure if it is a knock, or maybe just a rattle. I can somewhat hear it by the balancer, but then I can hear it about midway along the bottom of the engine block. I don't know if it is serious or not! The injector, water, and air pump all sound good. It doesn't knock when you first start the engine, I almost think it might be the oil pump idler gear. I noticed it was somewhat loose when I had the pan off, but it has to be a little loose to spin freely. In short, until something changes, I give up! Might have to do with it being cold out, and my lack of time too...

On the good side, I fixed a fuel leak, and windshield wiper. The seat latch that slides the seat back was missing a spring, got that fixed. Lot of fun to hit the brakes and have the seat slide foward till you hit the steering wheel!
Dennis

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks