• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Large wire crimping

rtadams89

I need to crimp some (only 4) connectors onto 00 gauge wire and the standard method I find seems to be using a hydraulic crimper. I do not have a hydraulic crimper. Should I spring for a cheap hydraulic crimper and a hand operated hydraulic ram pump (maybe DIY the pump: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbFKSy9oA0A) or can I get away with a set of crimping dies in my bench vise? Or perhaps there is an even easier/cheaper/better option I'm not thinking of?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2 easier ways I have used if you have the solder type terminal is to use a propane torch and vise to melt the pellet. On the crimp terminals, I have used a sledgehammer against concrete. Once you verify a solid connection, then insulate with heat shrink tubing.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hydraulic crimper from harbor freight isn't too expensive and it works great. I usually solder and crimp my big terminals.

rtadams89

The hydraulic crimper from harbor freight isn't too expensive and it works great. I usually solder and crimp my big terminals.
I was looking at that. I would need to get or make a hydraulic pump. I was also thinking about just getting some of the dies and using them in a vise.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the tool I was referring to. It's self contained, no other pump required. It'll crimp your terminals with ease.

http://m.harborfreight.com/hydraulic-wire-crimping-tool-66150.html

Before I got this I used a vise, but I was rebuilding some battery cables and decided I wanted a cleaner more reliable crimp. This tool has lived up to my expectations, and four years or so later it still works. I don't say that often about HF tools.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the tool I was referring to. It's self contained, no other pump required. It'll crimp your terminals with ease.

http://m.harborfreight.com/hydraulic-wire-crimping-tool-66150.html

Before I got this I used a vise, but I was rebuilding some battery cables and decided I wanted a cleaner more reliable crimp. This tool has lived up to my expectations, and four years or so later it still works. I don't say that often about HF tools.
I have this tool. Except for the dies being grossly mismarked, it makes a great crimp with very little effort.

rtadams89

Ahh, awesome, I hadn't seen that one before. I was thinking of the one which requires a separate pump. That seems like the best way to do it, and cheap enough.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I went to my local alt/gen rebuild shop and they crimped them for free. I then went to the closest donuts shop and brought them back a doz!

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
I use one of these at work for all my terminal connections for yacht battery cables. A quick whack with a 3 pound hammer and some shrink wrap and they never come apart. Does several different sizes. Not too expensive either. Good luck.

Attachments

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use the same tool as Cape Coastie and it works great and is CHEAP , lasts forever . Use a little shrink wrap and you should be good to go . I made up a set of cable end for my military jumper set , worked out great .

tobyS

Don't forget liberal anti-corrosion compound. It helps to lube the strands as they are compressed into place and then prevents oxidation that is especially a problem in DC circuits.

When I did heat rise testing for UL listing, we tried all kinds of anti-corrosion compounds (for affecting the electric carrying capacity). we found Vaseline was consistently among the best, but Noalox probably handles higher heats.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks