• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LD-465 exhaust

Jakob

Is there any power to be gained (or even lost) by removing the stock muffler and smaller diameter exhaust from a non-turbo truck? It's seems like choking down the exhaust from 3.5" to about 2.5" would cause excessive back pressure. Anyone have any experience with opening up the exhaust on these LD-465 engines?

steelandcanvas

Jakob said:
Is there any power to be gained (or even lost) by removing the stock muffler and smaller diameter exhaust from a non-turbo truck? It's seems like choking down the exhaust from 3.5" to about 2.5" would cause excessive back pressure. Anyone have any experience with opening up the exhaust on these LD-465 engines?
Amazing, I was just about to write a similar post when I came across yours. I too am curious about tossing the muffler and just "J" piping to a 3.5" stack. Certainly would like more than just lowering the EGTs a bit.

Jakob

I'm considering just sticking w/ the non-turbo and turning up the fuel some. The bigger exhaust wouldn't directly increase power, but the lower EGT's would enable me to run a little more fuel safely. I'm working on getting a pyrometer set up now.

Colonel Smash

I just bought a LD-465 Deuce and that is exactly what I plan to do with mine. Infact I just cut off the muffler today. (sounds great by the way)

How did it work out? Has anyone else run straight exhaust with turned up fuel on an LD?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I added a turbo to mine and upgraded the exhaust; no real noticable difference in power; just a heck of alot louder with that screaming whistle.:shock:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You will get very tired of that loud drone (even with ear protection). I added a muffler to my NA M275 and still have to wear hearing protectors.

Loud does not equate to power and may bring unwanted attention from your neighbors and the powers that be.

If you want a bigger exhaust (and less restriction) look at the exhaust systems being sold for the Cummins diesels that come in the Dodge pickups.

Just my 2 centavos....your milage will vary.