• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDS 465 1a rebuild or repower ?

I think if someone has the original Mack engine in there truck they could use a lot of the exterior parts to repower with a 300 horse power Mack engine maybe even a 350 . The mack 350 is a lot of horse power . I don't know about the new Mack engines but the older ones the horse power is rated at the ground other makers rate there horse power at the fly wheel .

Mack Attack

Banned
Mack had the advantage of know what their engine was powering so they could match the whole rig up perfectly. So everything works perfectly balanced and in tune with each other. The other diesels only had to make the engine was good to go.

Yesterday I was able to drive on the highway to heat up this engine to see if there was any problems I could not find before it had some small leaks that have been fixed .I was watching water temprature the thermostat is a few inches above the top of the radiator I need to work on fixing this . I drove about 20 miles up the highway in to Colorado pulling the trailer to work the engine on the few hills weight was about 36,000 . Top speed was 39 MPH . The temp would hit 200 I turned on the fan and it would drop slowly to 190 on the return trip down hill with out the fan it would only reach 160 degrees . The out side temperature was around 40 degrees . I will take it to town this next week to see how it drives in town .

Attachments

Up date I have driven the truck for about a year with a electric fan it is not enough to cool the engine with out a trailer and cool temperature out side it cames close .Over thes time I was checking for engine problems like heating or fuel and turbo . I bought a military mack water pump assembly and maifold these sit lower on the engine . the new water pump is farther from the block and did not line up with the crank pulley I had to move the balancer closer to the block to line up the pulleys I pulled the balancer and the hub off the crank and cut 11/16 off the back of the hub put it back on the crank then turned the balancer around so the crank pulleys would fit .

Attachments

I changed the power steering reservoir to one that mounts on the pump less fluid also two less hoses . To do this I had to change the air intake and move the filter housing rearward on the fender . Also reworked the cover that hides the fuel filters. I rased the radiator about 5/8 of a inch thats about all it will go to clear the hood I used the 20 inch fan from a multifuel had to drill it to fit the mack water pump . Driving the truck last night it heated up to 180 with out a trailer .

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks