• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaking HH

BT3583

Hi guys, I’ve been noticing a fuel leak after driving the truck underneath the injector pump. I originally thought it was coming from where the hydraulic head mounts to the pump. I actually ordered the replacement O-rings from Big Mike’s. After further inspection it appears to be coming from the very top of the head where the fuel lines connect and then dripping down the side of the unit. I do not see where it looks like any of the lines are leaking, is there anything else that fuel could leak from on top of the head? I also do not notice or smell any diesel in the engine oil. Thanks!

Last edited:

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull back or remove the rubber caps if they are shot.
Clean it up good with some type of dry cleaning solvent like Brakleen.
Blow it dry with Air if you can.
Take it for a ride and look at it with the engine running.
Look for fuel puddled in the fittings on top. Look closely to see if the fuel is coming out of the green sleeve that the fittings come out of. See picture

Hydraulic Head.jpg

BT3583

Thanks guys, I will do that. I was Originally thinking it was coming from where the HH meets the injector body, and have not been driving it much worrying about fuel mixing with the engine oil due to shot O-Rings. Then I noticed it leaking down the side from the top of the HH. It’s been tough to pinpoint, especially with the Data plate on top of the HH. We will get it sooner or later, hopefully sooner because I love driving her!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BT3583

Looks like I may have found the leak. Seems to be coming from the #4 injector line between the boot collar and the nut. Wondering if I should just replace all the lines since it looks like I’ll have to take them all off to get to it. It seems tight should I risk trying to tighten a little more?

Last edited:

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would try to tighten it to the torque spec with a crowfoot if you can get in there. Might work.

Then you can look at the line and see if there is damage to the sleeve or down in the head. Hard to see in there.

Changing line or trying to put on a new ferrule is an idea. You cut off the line above the existing collar, clean it up nice and square on end and put this new one on available here. It will be shorter but should still catch the mountings for the lines.

I tried all this and still had a leak from the region I indicate with the arrow in pic. Like you I thought I had a leak from the O-Rings first. Probably did have a leak there too.

Last edited:

BT3583

I would try to tighten it to the torque spec with a crowfoot if you can get in there. Might work.

Then you can look at the line and see if there is damage to the sleeve or down in the head. Hard to see in there.

Changing line or trying to put on a new collar is an idea. You cut off the line above the existing collar, clean it up nice and square on end and put this new one on available here. It will be shorter but should still catch the mountings for the lines.

I tried all this and still had a leak from the region I indicate with the arrow in pic. Like you I thought I had a leak from the O-Rings first. Probably did have a leak there too.
Yup that’s where it seems to be leaking from. Thank you for the info, much appreciated!

BT3583

I’m going to be replacing the O-Rings in the HH, wondering what the best way to turn the motor over by hand is to get the teeth lined up? Anyone have any good tips or tricks that have worked for them?

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most people put the transfer in neutral, transmission in 5th, and use a bar in the jackshaft universal joints to turn the engine over.

Some motors can be turned by the fan if the belts are tight and motor loose. ;)

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jack shaft. Transmission in 5th transfer case neutral looking at the back side of the motor go counter clockwise.
NY tom you type just a second faster than me.
As with anything I loosen then retighten if it needs to be tighten up. I would replace the line before I cut the stock line and used new ends that were posted.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks