• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaking Rear Wheel Bearing Seals - another thought

houdel

It seems like most every page on this forum has at least one posting about leaking rear wheel bearing seals. Often the problem seems to stem from the cork insert which is SUPPOSED to keep diffential oil from bypassing the outer seal and outer bearing and then getting into the bearings, then finally blowing the inner wheel bearing seal.

This cork insert seems hard to find at times, as there are many posts about making your own inserts from cork sheeting and Chevrolet valve cover gaskets.

How about finding a large, industrial sized O ring to replace the cork insert? Seems like if enough differential oil gets in there to lubricate the insert and keep IT from breaking up, an O ring should hold up pretty well, IF you can find one big enough. As the cork insert is 1/4" x 7/16", maybe a pair of 1/4" thick O rings of the proper diameter might work. Since the inner surface of the cork insert has to be tapered anyhow, the O ring should be a good fit and may even work better than the cork insert.

Has anyone tried this? What are your thoughts?

Link to PS Magazine article on oil seal leaks:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/module...ile=index&name=gallery&include=view_photo.php

Link to Technical Article on oil seal leaks:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=3&fid=file&pid=7

Scroll down to the last illustration in the TA for a good cross section view of the seal/bearing area.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
houdel,
I like the way you approach this problem. I will start looking for the right sized O-Ring.

I'll get with Randy Barnes and see what we can come up with and report back. I'm getting ready to do the 'super single' conversion, so now is the time.

jim

houdel

Right you are - I misread the TA & PS articles. I thought the cork seal went around the entire periphery of the bearing, but it only fills the keyway. But I suppose you could still fill the keyway with 2 pieces of 1/4" O ring cut to 1/2" long (since it appears the slot we are trying to fill is 7/16" wide x 7/16" deep) and crammed into the keyway. The outer seal & adjusting nut should squash that rubber into a nice tight seal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks