• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaving For Findlay 1970 M813 Metal Strips in The Transfer Case

Hello, my friend and I were working on the 1970 M813 truck getting it ready for an around 800 mile round trip to Findlay later this week. We drained the transfer case and the fluid was very dark and nasty. Attached to the magnetic plug there were these strips of metal. I could reach in the drain hole and pull the rest of this out as it was laying in the bottom. Using the flash light everything looks clean and the gears appear to be in good shape, but obviously I can only see 10-20% of what is in there from that drain hole. The transfer case appears to shift fine and I commonly split shift with it. Does anyone know what part this is and most importantly if this were your truck would you run it forever, or pull and replace? In the first picture I put in a circle as it might have originally been a ring but I know literally zero about these units. Thanks

Attachments

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like park of a cage on a roller bearing . I wouldn't take a 800 mile trip with that coming out of the transfer case.

Not what I wanted to hear but that is the way I was leaning anyways. So it looks like I will me making the trip in the Super Duty. In regards to the transfer case, do you guys recommend having it rebuilt locally, or trying to source a new or rebuilt one? Can they be "split" and easily serviced on the truck? If it has to be lowered and replaced I am not comfortable doing that with the jacks that I have and would likely be crushed to death! So I would consider taking to a truck transmission shop and paying to have it done.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It looks like park of a cage on a roller bearing . I wouldn't take a 800 mile trip with that coming out of the transfer case.
ditto

Not what I wanted to hear but that is the way I was leaning anyways. So it looks like I will me making the trip in the Super Duty. In regards to the transfer case, do you guys recommend having it rebuilt locally, or trying to source a new or rebuilt one? Can they be "split" and easily serviced on the truck? If it has to be lowered and replaced I am not comfortable doing that with the jacks that I have and would likely be crushed to death! So I would consider taking to a truck transmission shop and paying to have it done.
If you can find a remanunfactured unit in the can or an NOS one, by all means that's the way to fly. You do run some risk with units like that, if they haven't been properly stored, they could have corrosion internally. It's just something to consider.

I assume it's just a larger version of the 2.5 ton case, albeit with a different front axle engagement system. Look at the tech manual and anyone who's competent at building gearboxes should be able to service it.

You will need to remove it from the vehicle and split it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Honestly I'd take this opportunity to swap in a T-case from a 939 series truck. You'll get overdrive in high range AND get an airshift instead of the sprague.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.......... So it looks like I will me making the trip in the Super Duty...............
Sorry to hear about the hick-up to your plans.

I'm thinking you and the previous owner "your friend" will be very comfy in the Superduty. I hope he doesn't snore too much.
[I think I'm making a reasonable assumption here considering the vehicle and your location!!!]

Re pieces - yes it's a roller cage, but why aren't there any ball bearings in the oil? (you did check the oil right?)
.... Balls are probably still in place, held in the races, but they will start to bunch not being separated uniformly by the cage - this will stress the races and ultimately - failure altogether.

I wouldn't risk the trip 'as is'.

Looks like the cage pieces could be rebuilt - a la crash reconstruction on a hangar floor and thereby I D it's size and hence location...

Last edited:

Shirehorse

I'm thinking you and the previous owner "your friend" will be very comfy in the Superduty. I hope he doesn't snore too much.
[I think I'm making a reasonable assumption here considering the vehicle and your location!!!]

.... Balls are probably still in place.
Howard,

Your assumption is correct. Also, you are the expert on balls, so I will go with your advice that they're still intact. :wink:

Those were the only pieces in the oil. No other parts of a race, or anything else. I'm glad we caught it now, instead of on the road.

Looking forward to seeing you at Findlay.

~Brian

74M35A2

So, what did you bring down? Cletus and the F-Series? I would have drove that 8-ball, no prob. It's not an airplane engine, it is only 47 years old, what's the worst that could happen? You make some new friends.

Good to see you there. Sorry it rained and everybody took their toys and went home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks