• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LED and HID lights on vintage vehicles

troy.m38a1

Has anyone converted over to LED and/or HID (for headlights) on a vintage vehicle (say a 53 M2\38A1 ;-) )

If so, how? Any ideas?

outlaw

I know a place that sells all the lights.
tail.marker.black out. all militarily spec
these are complete assemblies.
just bolt on.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both Grote and TruckLite make direct bolt on LED front, marker and tail lights for MV's. The Army uses them on all their new stuff.. Do a search, there are LOTS of posts on this subject.

CGarbee

I've got LED elements in most of myvehicles in the stop/tail/turn housings... I have H4 E-Code (European standard) lights on all my vehicles...
One of the pages on my website that discusses H4 lighting is located at:
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/headlights.htm

FWIW: A buddy of mine who sells wiring components (harnesses, plugs, etc.) to folks making/maintaining MV's recently told me that the folks at Dialight are producting LED tactical lighting. I'm trying to talk him into getting me a set so that we can compare them to the Grote and Trucklite versions... :)

Enjoy.

MilitaryLightMan

Concerning LED Headlamps - Do a Google Search on Truck-Lite LED Headlamps and you will find dozens of articles where Truck-Lite has been doing testing on a 7" LED Headlamp they are trying to launch this year. It has recently been moved back to be released sometime in June or July.

Not feeling like the technology was "quite" ready at this point, Grote does not have one to release. We are currently working on one and expect to have something more concrete on a launch date later this year.

Heat was the main issue. Meeting the specs was easier than making a product that would decrease the life cycle cost (main driving factor from Military for LED Headlamps).

So... we have LED Composites, LED Blackout Drives, LED Backups, LED Marker Lamps, Interior LED DOme Lamps and Map Lamps - but nothing to date on a LED Headlamp.

Hope this helps!

Matthew E. Drake

Matthew.drake@grote.com
812-265-8491

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did see a set of the trucklite LED headlights at the AUSA show. Oshkosh had them mounted on their -A3 hybrid HEMTT cab. Pretty wicked looking lights.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Kenny I wish I knew you were going to the AUSA show it rocks and I have been every year since being assigned int the Capital region except for the years Uncle has sent me to the Balkins, Afghanistan and Iraq.

MilitaryLightMan

I was at the AUSA Show last month as well and will be at the Annual COnference in October in DC. We have a pretty descent booth there every year with some NICE freebies - feel free to stop by the booth and mention that you are on Steel Soldiers and I'll be certain you're "taken care of"!!

Look forward to seeing you guys there!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had no idea. Getting into the AUSA show is not easy. I never made it when the show was open. The convention center is located in Port Everglades whereI work so I had free run of the convention center. Next year I will come in several hours early and tour the show while it is open.

MilitaryLightMan

Rumor has it that Truck-Lite has their LED Headlamp Production ready and you should be able to procure them.

Grote's LED Headlamp will be a home run once released. We are looking at limited Pre-Production quantities in July and full Production in January.

Quality and a few extra's should make this an abesolute home run compared to anythign else available on the Market.

Stay in touch and I'll see what we can do to help you out...

Matthew E. Drake
Grote Military Products
matthew.drake@army.com
812-599-0815

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Great news Matthew:
Have they thought about a dual purpose light that would also be able to be switched to IR so the drivers could flip to a good IR driving light in the same housing?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Matt, glad to see you posting again and it was nice to meet you at the AUSA show this year.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks