• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LED replacement no flashing

NVAM998

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've read a bunch of threads. I get it, low current and it won't flash. So one LED and one filament until I replace with a new LED flasher or just throw a load resistor in parallel on each side. The really puzzling thing is the indicator in the turn signal assy. It won't illuminate an LED or let the filament/LED combination flash with a tiny LED installed in the turn switch. With a filament bulb it all works. I have the 280-23 TM schematics but I can't find he turn switch or its indicator in a schematic. If I can I can figure it out and will share results.

My flasher has a crack in the case but otherwise works. Except with LEDs.

Thanks for any help!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I've read a bunch of threads. I get it, low current and it won't flash. So one LED and one filament until I replace with a new LED flasher or just throw a load resistor in parallel on each side. The really puzzling thing is the indicator in the turn signal assy. It won't illuminate an LED or let the filament/LED combination flash with a tiny LED installed in the turn switch. With a filament bulb it all works. I have the 280-23 TM schematics but I can't find he turn switch or its indicator in a schematic. If I can I can figure it out and will share results.

My flasher has a crack in the case but otherwise works. Except with LEDs.

Thanks for any help!
The sad part is that the tiny LED in the SignalStat most likely won't blink when you convert to LED's for the actual signals. Generally speaking, that it kinda how it is...

NVAM998

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for responding. If I had a schematic I can design a hack and share.

A little disappointed that a vendor online on the net sells various kits but does not share known shortcomings. Just also did a "pinball" hitch. No mention that the pintle stud is too short and/or the hardware is too long .... Made it work without the plate and washer behind the castle nut. Not happy.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thank you for responding. If I had a schematic I can design a hack and share.

A little disappointed that a vendor online on the net sells various kits but does not share known shortcomings. Just also did a "pinball" hitch. No mention that the pintle stud is too short and/or the hardware is too long .... Made it work without the plate and washer behind the castle nut. Not happy.
Yeah, that is kinda crummy. No, more like pretty frustrating!
I found a HMMWV Troubleshooting book that might be useful.

Page 147 to 153 gives you a lot of things to measure and test.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks this is good info. Frustrating that the indicator bulb is not obvious.
True, but the indicator is part of the assembly.
Doesn't really help, but the indicator would be replaced as part of the assembly...

98Non-Turbo

I replaced the bulb in my turn signal switch with a special LED from trucklite. It fixed the issue and took about 2 minutes.

Do a web search for the bulb, it's number is:

L1080-ND 24

A couple of sites sell them.

1998 M1123 no turbo, Harriman, Tennessee

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The issue with the indicator lamp is the polarity is backwards to most lights, the bayonet (body) is positive and the pin contact is negative, makes no difference to an incandescent lamp but will not work with 99% of the LED lamps out there.

NVAM998

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The issue with the indicator lamp is the polarity is backwards to most lights, the bayonet (body) is positive and the pin contact is negative, makes no difference to an incandescent lamp but will not work with 99% of the LED lamps out there.
That's interesting. Maybe I need to do some bulb surgery. Or just leave the little incandescent.

I did add an XM381 trailer light adapter and when I hear the relays clicking I thought cool, the relay coil draw will let the LEDs work. So I put them back. No luck. Just ordered a flasher replacement since mine has a crack in the case. Looks like it's not going to be fun to get to under the dash.

Just1More

Try just removing the signal bulb for now, it effectively does the same thing as adding the right LED bulb. Should help you troubleshoot before buying the expensive led flasher(unnecessarily with the LED signal switch bulb). Next step is to disassemble your turn signal switch and clean any burnt looking contacts. Mark the body before taking the back off to be sure it goes back on in the correct orientation.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After changing to all LEDs I have the following:

With the switch in STOP LIGHT everything works as normal; turn signals flash as they should.
With the switch in SER DRIVE the headlights are on but the turn signals do not flash.

I've tried a regular filament bulb and an LED bulb in the turn signal lever assembly and it made no difference.

If I don't put any bulb in the turn signal lever assembly, the turn signals work properly in either position of the light switch. In this config, everything works properly except I don't get the flashing in the lever assembly (because there's no bulb there).

That's the current configuration. I don't miss the flashing in the lever too much as it's usually hidden by my arms while driving. I put some black reflector tape on the grill guard in front on the signals to alert me that they're on.

Just1More

With the switch in STOP LIGHT everything works as normal; turn signals flash as they should.
With the switch in SER DRIVE the headlights are on but the turn signals do not flash.

I've tried a regular filament bulb and an LED bulb in the turn signal lever assembly and it made no difference.

If I don't put any bulb in the turn signal lever assembly, the turn signals work properly in either position of the light switch. In this config, everything works properly except I don't get the flashing in the lever assembly (because there's no bulb there).

That's the current configuration. I don't miss the flashing in the lever too much as it's usually hidden by my arms while driving. I put some black reflector tape on the grill guard in front on the signals to alert me that they're on.
Try the amazon bulbs I linked a couple replies up. They worked perfectly for my turn signal switch because they don't care about polarity like most LED bulbs.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Are you sure you have a REAL factory light switch?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As sure as I can be. The Marines gave it up with 5500 miles on the clock, so unless they swapped in an unreal light switch, it's gotta be factory.
Swapping in a different switch would be my next move.

NVAM998

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I haven't tried that yet, I think...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks