• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LED Tail lights replacing incandescent.

grendel

Hi Brothers and Sisters,
I have an M932A2 that originally had plastic brake light housings and incandescent bulbs.

They got smashed up, so I replaced them with aluminum housings and LED tail lights.

Now the LED brake lights are on, when you turn on all the lights. As in they're stuck on bright and no change when you press the brake pedal or turn signal.

Another member mentioned you had to swap wires.

Any ideas?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well its either the switch for the brake lights or the wires are hooked up wrong. Have you taken 24v to each of the leads to verify what they do? I got some that didn't have any tags and that helped a bunch.

Gunzy

Check to make sure the trailer brake handle on the right side of steering column(opposite the T/S switch) is pushed ALL the way forward. ANY movement to the rear will apply the brake lights. Ask me how I know, cost me a brake light switch when I didn't need one.

grendel

I am sure the trolley handle is forward. I checked the wiring numbers, they are correct. Thought about a ground issue, will check that.

Is there an LED brake light switch? Thought there might be a difference in resistance.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put the LED tail lights on my 5-ton and they just worked. I hooked them up to a battery charger first and tested each lead first though to make sure the labels were correct.

If it were a modern vehicle with a power control system for lighting in it I would say it was a resistance problem but the old trucks are pretty brain dead simple.

Do what Gimpy said and run them all one at a time with 24v and test each lead on the truck with a meter and match them up.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I replaced all mine with LEDs, one tail light set was labeled wrong and did the same thing.
A multimeter solved that and I relabeled the wires.

Took about an hour for a 10 minute job but all is good now.

Don't forget to update your signal flasher to the new style for the LEDs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks