• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leesburg, GA Christmas Parade

sandcobra164

It's that time of year again. I've got to turn my entry in for the Leesburg Christmas Parade which will take place on the 6th of December. I got the ugly news that I cannot take my National Guard M1089A1P2 Wrecker again as they got some guidance from higher that their trucks are no longer allowed to be a static display or a Parade vehicle. Anyhow, I know I've got 3 Deuces, maybe a forth, a pristine M1028 and 10 Soldiers as well to enter into the Parade. If anyone else would like to participate, I need to know very soon. I know PB offered to bring 2 Gun Trucks but I want to be clear that I can't host a get together afterwards as I still have Drill with the National Guard after the Parade. I can't throw down as good as the Columbus CAMO group but let me do 6 more years and get a blue id card and I'll give him a run at it!!! I've got to get the application turned in by November 21st along with my Donation. My better half wants you to let us know by the 19th so that she can gather our donation and deliver it with the application so if you're on the fence, please respond soon. Some pictures from last year's Parade. All Soldiers will be in uniform this go around!!!IMAG1466.jpgIMAG1465.jpgIMAG1464.jpgIMAG1458.jpgIMAG1441.jpgIMAG1435.jpgIMAG1431.jpgIMAG1429.jpgIMAG1426.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Joe, we better keep our entry to one Guntruck because the weather is turning cold and driving Proud American that far without a cab top and folks riding in the gunbox would be like sitting in a freezer for about 1.5 hours!:roll: Also, due to the weight we can only haul ONE Guntruck on the landoll.

We will just load Proud on a trailer (we'll need a place to stash the tractor/trailer) and then drive her to the parade.

I haven't been able to get anyone else to commit this far in advance so lets just say Proud American will be there...even if it's just me driving her and you KNOW the IFS don't like to drive!!

I don't know if youse guyz use an announcer to describe the vehicles as they pass in review but just in case, here's a description:

1965 M54A1 5ton Guntruck Replica... Used for convoy protection in Vietnam.

I'm sure you will post details closer to the parade but count us/me in.

Also, don't worry about us after the parade...we understand and are completely self sufficient when on a mission. We will show up, line up wherever ya want us, do the parade and E&E back to the hooch. :beer:

Attachments

Last edited:

sandcobra164

PB, I can drive Proud in the parade and have one of my Soldier's drive my Deuce!!! I've got plenty of room to stash the tractor / trailer combo on my 2 acres so that won't be a problem. I'm just glad ya'll are coming!!!

zout

I would love to bring down the JOKERS WILD to help and dislike what I have to type next - but due to the new job and funding I cannot attend but sure gave it a couple thoughts first to see if I could wiggle it. We sure would like to come down and help support your efforts from Northern Camp.

sandcobra164

Zout,
You don't have to bring a 5 ton to attend. I drove my Trans Am to your last Cookout instead of my Deuce and that fuel cost factored into that for me. I turned in the application this morning and probably cannot add another vehicle at this point but I could ask. Find someone with a Prius Hybrid with a fully charged battery and keep it under 45 so your only running on battery power and we'll charge it up out here!!! It's a pretty short Parade route but it's alot of fun. I really hate that my Wrecker in the pictures posted above won't be there but that's life. I won't miss the HMMWV not being there but it looked neat last year.

sandcobra164

Application turned in. Lineup will be M1028 "Sarge" leading the way, M35A2 "Big Trucks", M54A1 Gun Truck "Proud American", M109A3 "Arabella" which is now a cargo and M35A2 "Frankenstien". I'm also bringing 10 or my friends and we'll be in uniform for the get together and they will march around and throw candy to the crowd from either "Proud American" or "Arabella". I can't wait and I'm thankful for the support everyone is providing. At my last drill with the National Guard, half the company volunteered. I hate that the 1SG told me I have to narrow down the list but I'll be fair and choose 5 from Maintenance and 5 from Distro.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
We'll be proud to have as many of your friends ride in Proud American as possible.

How far is it from your AO to the parade route? I just want to be sure we bring enough "snivel gear" if it's too cold!!:lol:

sandcobra164

325 Thundering Springs Road, Leesburg, GA, 31763. Use the bus turn around and park in the front yard with the tractor. I've got drill that morning but Lee should come around with some biscuits and coffee very shortly. I'll be there soon to try and direct and line up the convoy. I hate that I can't bring my NG Wrecker but I am thankful for the troops they will let me bring to the Parade!!!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
325 Thundering Springs Road, Leesburg, GA, 31763. Use the bus turn around and park in the front yard with the tractor. I've got drill that morning but Lee should come around with some biscuits and coffee very shortly. I'll be there soon to try and direct and line up the convoy. I hate that I can't bring my NG Wrecker but I am thankful for the troops they will let me bring to the Parade!!!
Is this a rain or shine parade? Looks like 50% chance of rain Saturday according to weatherbug. If it's raining when I get up should we abort the mission?

sandcobra164

Ya'll can but for my Soldiers, "If it ain't raining, we ain't training"! We're rolling either way and hopefully it won't rain. My daddy summed if up for me years ago with a saying. "Sugar melts in the rain, S#$% doesn't so I have nothing to worry about"!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Ya'll can but for my Soldiers, "If it ain't raining, we ain't training"! We're rolling either way and hopefully it won't rain. My daddy summed if up for me years ago with a saying. "Sugar melts in the rain, S#$% doesn't so I have nothing to worry about"!
Surely you jest!! An ole Infantry Soldier afraid to get wet? What I meant was...will they cancel the parade if it's raining?

By the way, what time is the parade and when do you want us to arrive at your AO or is there a place closer to the parade route we can stash the tractor/landoll and go straight there?

Attachments

Last edited:

sandcobra164

We have to be lined up at 0900 so I'd like ya'll to arrive around 0800 at my house. I don't have connections to anyone any closer but the start point is at the high school. Don't know if you'd get in trouble for leaving the tractor and landoll in the bus pickup lot but they may not mind. I'll call tomorrow to inquire. If the school is fine with it, it's address is 1 Trojan Way, Leesburg, GA, 31763.

sandcobra164

Checked with school, they are fine with leaving tractor and trailer in the bus parking lot. If you go straight there, it'll be to the left of the high school as you look at it from the highway.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Sadly, as Murphy would have it...we are gonna have to cancel out of the parade Joe. Three of my heavy truck drivers are down with the flu as of 16:00hrs. We were already down two drivers and just lost the third.

Carl has to go to South Carolina tomorrow. That leaves just me and Troy to run three heavy wreckers for the weekend.

I'm very sorry Joe, we tried...but I can't leave here with no drivers to cover the heavy wreckers Bro.

Last edited:

sandcobra164

Success!! I had a wonderful time with fellow members Atomic and Godawgsdv8 along with Soldiers from my local National Guard Unit!!!

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Sorry we couldn't make it Brother but I know you understand. Thank you for leading the charge for the Southern CAMO Crew in such an outstanding fashion.[thumbzup]:beer:

Remember...I owe you one!:papabear:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks