• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lets Talk M1101

KTMGuy

Howdy all! I just got through stirring the pot in the generator section and now its you trailer peoples turn.

I will be getting a MEP-803A generator - it was the final contestant in a 802 vs 803 vs 003 battle. Now I need/want a trailer for it.

I'll make it easy by just asking if an M1101 is good enough for hauling the 803. Anyone with actual experience, please give me an honest opinion. My only use of any military trailer was for hauling our units gear and that was pretty much it experience wise. I've looked through as many threads as I could and it seems everyone likes it well enough, but I also want any dirty little secrets about the trailer also.

I already know it will need to be converted from 24v to 12v which I plan as well as LED lights and a seven pin connector conversion. I also know from driving HMMWV's quite a bit back in the day pulling various trailers, that they have surge brakes - which I like by the way.

What I need to know is how it handles with a 1300lb generator in it. I have a heavily rebuilt Dodge 2500 diesel that will be pulling it occasionally. Also tires - easy to come by? Maintenance needed? Any special tools needed? I know it has a pintle and my truck already has a pintle hook hitch for farm work. Any problems with height?

Thanks for any advice.

Vince

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They sit real high in my mind, wider than most tow vehicles, and unless you need hmmwv wheels/tires, another level of complexity.

My personal preference would be the m116a2 chassis series of gen set trailers or an m101a2 if you want the traditional "box" bed. Easy peazy rim and tires widely available that anyone can work on.

KTMGuy

Dang it. I was hoping my recollection of the 1990's was wrong. Yes, wide and tall it seems.

Looking at the M116A2 and M101A2's now. Ah! The M101A2 is much lower and I like the box bed.

Thanks a lot juanprado!

Vince

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can always put smaller wheels/tires on it to help lower it down, and there are threads on here on how to lower it further with some modifications. Standard 8x6.6 lug pattern I believe, which was pretty common back in the day. Overall a nice trailer, but overkill for this job unless you're hauling a bunch of other stuff with it.
The 1101/1102 has a wider width than the 101A2/116A2 trailers, and the same width as the 101A3/M116A3 series, to match the HMMWV.

M116A2 and M101A2 are the same frame, the 116 has a flatbed and was used a lot for generators, where the 101 was used as general purpose trailer. They are likely the same width as your truck.

You can look around on here some for ways to lower the hitch height to better match your truck, the 116/101 will be a lot closer to begin with though.

Guyfang

Staff member
I seem to remember that the M1101were not created to carry the gen sets, permanently. As cargo yes. When we installed them by the hundreds, on the M1101, for units going Down Range, we had a problem with opening doors. Most cargo trailers are not wide enough to get the doors open. That's why PU's (Power Units) and PP's, (Power Plants), are on special made trailers. If you are going to buy an MEP-803A, you might consider finding one ON a trailer. PU's have one gen set mounted to it. PP's have two. A work around that we came up with, if you want to leave the set on the trailer when running it, is to grind off the hinge pin. We replaced it with a quick release pin. But any thing would work.

KTMGuy

This is why Im here - to learn from people in the know. So now its a dedicated trailer and gen all in one if possible and a 101A2/116A2 trailer for hauling stuff. Sounds good. My truck is a 4x4 and sits high, but not as high as the M1101.

Dang it! How does the report thing work?

Vince

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks