• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

lic. plate light

M37-1952

They just had a TV story on that there is a $85.00 fine in MI for no lic. plate light. I called the sec. of state office in Lansing last week and they told me that new plates are reflective and needed no light.Where do you put the plate and do you light it? I was going to put it on the tailgate.

Mark
1952 M-37

ida34

The SOS do not enforce the law and you must have a plate light unless you have the truck registered on a historic plate. . Plates have been reflective for some time and it does not negate the law requiring a light for the plate. If your truck has a regular plate then you must wire up a plate light. Below is the law.

257.686 Rear lamps; exemption; requirements for implement of husbandry; pickup camper.
Sec. 686. (1) A motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or vehicle which is being drawn in a train of
vehicles shall be equipped with at least 1 rear lamp mounted on the rear, which, when lighted as required by
this act, shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear.
(2) Either a tail lamp or a separate lamp shall be constructed and placed so as to illuminate with a white
light the rear registration plate and render it clearly legible from a distance of 50 feet to the rear. A tail lamp
or tail lamps, together with any separate lamp for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be wired so as
to be lighted whenever the head lamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lighted.

(3) A motor vehicle licensed as an historic vehicle is exempt from the requirements of this section if the
vehicle as originally equipped failed to meet these requirements.

(4) When operated or moved on a highway at the times specified in section 684, an implement of
husbandry shall meet either of the following requirements:
(a) Display lighted rear lamps which meet the requirements of subsection (1).
(b) Be accompanied by a vehicle which follows behind the implement of husbandry at a distance of not
more than 50 feet, illuminates the implement of husbandry with the vehicle's headlights, and displays on the
rear of the vehicle lighted rear lamps as required by this section.
(5) A pickup camper shall be attached to the motor vehicle in a manner so that the registration plate of the
motor vehicle is clearly visible.

Let me know if you need any questions answered.

M37-1952

Thanks for the regulation Chuck. Since I will be using a 1952 plate and registered as a historical vehicle, I guess mounting it on the tailgate will be alright.

ida34

I did not include the law for mounting plates but just make sure it is horizontal and securely fastened so that it does not sway at all. If you want I can post this one also.

ida34

I got mine with the kids to play with the military radios. Some are and some are not.

Mike,
You would have to check you individual states to make sure. I know most will allow one brake and tail light on historical vehicles but I am not sure on the plate light. Tennessee did not require a historic plate. It just said that vehicles originally equipped with one tail light were exempt from having to have two. I have not looked it up in other states to know for sure.

CGarbee

In NC, the law (I can look up the statute and post it if folks are that interested) states that the tag has to be visible for a distance that translates into its having to be lit... In the inspection procedure, there is a line to be checked off for the tag light...

However, in NC, you can run year of manufacture tags (the one with the year embosed in the corner back before we went to the stickers for updating tags) as long as the tag of registration is available for inspection. Most folks work under the assumption that the "hood number" stenciled on the tailgate equates to the YOM tag... :) So, not many folks display their tags on MV's...

Also, in NC, vehicles over 25 years in age are excempt from inspection so the tag light needing to be checked off during the safety inspection becomes a moot point. (keep in mind that a larger vehicle such as a duece still is required to have an annual inspection as its weight puts it under the FMVCSA rules even though it is privately owned, but do your own FHWA periodic inspection...).

I used to run a tag on my M37 on a bracket that I mounted that had it hanging down from the rear crossmember (used a bracket with a light in it and fed it from a pigtail from the passenger taillight), but now don't. I had to pull it off every time I went offroading (the picktail had a plug so I could just pop it loose and then unscrew the bracket...). Mounting the tag on the tailgat presents a bit more of a challenge since you have to run a wire (if lit) that would be secure without interfearing with the tailgate operation and you want to avoid the pioneer tool rack...

I've seen some tags mounted to the bumperette...

If me, I'd see if the restrictions (if any) and having it registered as a historic vehicle worked for me and would go that route so I could be excempt using paragraph three of your laws as posted above.

Good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks