• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

License Plate and Taillight not working

cclary25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the final issue have on this Hmmwv just got a week ago. I installed the led taillight along with license plate with a light that connects in line with the taillight (I believe it was plug 21). Well, I reconnected everything the exact way the original light was connect on driver side but had not gotten to the passanger side yet. However, now when I turn on the lights the license plate light does not come on and the taillight does not come on the driver side, however, the original on passenger side does come on. When I press the brakes though the brake light does come on both sides. So I would assume that the taillight and license plate since its running through that connector 21 it must not be ground correctly or something and is the reason why both of these are not working. I would imagine the tailight itself is good since the brake light does work and the tailight must be not coming on since the license plate light runs through it first then connects back to the plug and thinking it must not be ground correctly.

Please help!

Also, do have one of those free harbor freight 7 Function Digital Multimeter if there something can do with it to check things. Just have to explain it in basic terms since this is first vehicle ever worked on other than changing flywheel and clutch in my honda accord which just used the heins manual to do so haven't learned all the basic terminology yet.

Attachments

Last edited:

tage

This is the final issue have on this Hmmwv just got a week ago. I installed the led taillight along with license plate with a light that connects in line with the taillight (I believe it was plug 21). Well, I reconnected everything the exact way the original light was connect on driver side but had not gotten to the passanger side yet. However, now when I turn on the lights the license plate light does not come on and the taillight does not come on the driver side, however, the original on passenger side does come on. When I press the brakes though the brake light does come on both sides. So I would assume that the taillight and license plate since its running through that connector 21 it must not be ground correctly or something and is the reason why both of these are not working. I would imagine the tailight itself is good since the brake light does work and the tailight must be not coming on since the license plate light runs through it first then connects back to the plug and thinking it must not be ground correctly.

Please help!

Also, do have one of those free harbor freight 7 Function Digital Multimeter if there something can do with it to check things. Just have to explain it in basic terms since this is first vehicle ever worked on other than changing flywheel and clutch in my honda accord which just used the heins manual to do so haven't learned all the basic terminology yet.
Is the bulb bad? some manufactures use the bulb as a sort of fuse, and when it goes, the electricity that you're piggy backing off of will not get power.
try to unplug all that wiring mess and see if it works then.

Action

Pull the plugs apart and reconnect it. You may want to slide the boot back some first to make sure the metal pin goes into the other side. Then slide the rubber boot back down. You may have the metal pin pushed to the side and not in the hole. Just looking at it, you won't see it.

cclary25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alright, first thing tomorrow when get a moment will first check to make sure the bulb is still good in license plate then I will check the connections to make sure the metal pins are in. I appreciate all the advice. Also, the license plate instruction said to make sure it had a good ground or it would not come on. However, not really sure what the ground would be to check that it's good. I'm guessing its that little wire on the bottom of the picture with the blue part on it that goes to that bolt right there.

cclary25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was confused about the two grounds, I connected both of them to that same bolt on the back of the light enclosure that you can see in the top of the picture. The bolt that holds that metal plate across the two bolts on the back of the light enclosure. Is this correct, or do they need to go somewhere else?

Thank You

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks