• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Licensing and Insuring M929A2 in Michigan

dodgemain

Hi,
I was wondering if you guys in Michigan can help me out. Recently I picked up an M929A2. The weather is getting nice and I want to get the truck licensed and insured for the summer. I have never licensed or insured a vehicle like this. The truck is a 1990 so I cannot get a historical plate for it. It looks like I will need to get a GVW plate. Does this sound right? Will having a GVW plate mean that I have to insure it as a commercial vehicle? Does have a GVW plate make it a commercial vehicle? Any suggestions about which company I should insure it? It will not be stored indoors so I think JC Taylor and Hagerty are out. Maybe Gulfway? I would like to insure it with someone located in Michigan. I insure all my other vehicles with Allstate. They said they can’t help me with this truck. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I insured my M35A2 with State Farm (approx $450 yr). They told me that it had to be insured as a commercial vehicle because of the weight, allthough I can use it for whatever I want and whenever I want. The plate on the other hand has to be a GVW ($491 yr) because of the weight, unless I want to get a Historical plate which has its limitations. The GVW plate will allow you to use it for whatever and whenever you want, or so I'm told by our friends at the SOS.
I think I'm going to try the Historical plate unless my usage gets excessive.

ida34

I have posted a lot on this subject both about registration and the need for a CDL. First of all, the only thing that would make it a commercial vehicle is you using it to make money in some way. If you are using it just for moving your own stuff (not stuff for or to sell) then you are not operating commercially. The declared GVW plate is not in and of itself a commercial plate although most trucks that use them are commercial because most people do not have big truck for their own use. The plate just declares how much weight you paid to haul. You decide what weight of plate you get. It has to be enough to cover the truck and its contents. If you were just riding around in it and not hauling anything then you would only need a couple hundred pounds above the actual weight of the truck. If you planned on hauling gravel for your driveway that weighed 10,000 lbs then you would need a plate that was the weight of your truck plus 10,000 lbs. You do not need to use the GVW on the data plate unless you want to be able to use the truck to haul the most it can. You will get an overweight ticket if you are over your plated weight or if you are exceding the manufacturer's GVW no matter what plate you bought. The historical plate is not an option on a 90 but it does not have as many restrictions at the SOS would have you think. The law as it is written is not as restrictive as the statement they want you to sign to makes it seem. As long as you are not using it for everyday transportation you are fine. We do not have an automatic no cargo restriction like some states do. As to the insurance, that is totally up to them. I had to include a copy of my registration showing a historical plate when I applied for insurance with Gulfway. Most insurance companies call any large vehicle a commercial vehicle based on the size. They do not consider use of the vehicle like the law does. If you have any questions you can PM me.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are interested in selling it, please talk to me. PM sent. we could work out a trade or a trade/cash or cash. If you want an M929 that you can tag historically, I have one that is manufactured in 1984. It is MINT...new hood, new fenders, new doors, new hard top, new troop seats, new seat cushions, new 3 color CARC, new Goodyear G177s (1100X20s). Best of all, it has A NEW BED...never been on a truck previously...no dings, dents or rust!!!! Beautiful former USN Seabees truck...but it is not rusty. I replaced all the sheet metal to cherry-out the truck. With the exception of the hard top, the truck was rust free. It is VERY low mileage...about 2400 miles and 250 hours.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the clarification. I had read your previous posts and had pretty much decided on the Historical plate. I guess I'll have to go talk to different clerk at the SOS. They only gave the two options when I first inquired, 24K GVW plate or the Historical plate, and even then they tried to discurage me from getting the Historical plate. I did not know about being able to declare a GVW. I have yet to recieve my SF97 so I have time to do more research. They did however tell me I did not need a CDL.

fabiodriven

I dunno much about Michigan, but I can tell you that I will be registering my M35A2 in Massachusetts as a camper. Add a little counter, sink, fold out bed, TV, viola! Cheap and easy way to insure AND- If your truck requires a CDL, it no longer will when it's a camper.;-) Now, I dunno about your dump body, but I know there were some dump bodies you could get a canvas for.

ida34

Thanks for the clarification. I had read your previous posts and had pretty much decided on the Historical plate. I guess I'll have to go talk to different clerk at the SOS. They only gave the two options when I first inquired, 24K GVW plate or the Historical plate, and even then they tried to discurage me from getting the Historical plate. I did not know about being able to declare a GVW. I have yet to recieve my SF97 so I have time to do more research. They did however tell me I did not need a CDL.
At least they got the CDL part right. I was lucky that one of the SOS clerks knew her stuff. I got a new lady that first had trouble with a 1969 vehicle that had never been registered. I had to explain that the government does not register vehicles. Then she really choked on the Kaiser-Jeep for the Make. The other lady told her to code it as a Jeep. Then she questioned the 13,000 lbs weight and the other lady had to tell her to just type it in. I have since registered a lot of my trucks there so get less hassle. I have an F-350 that I only drive once in a while. Most of the time it is just used to plow my drive. I let the registration lapse while I rebuilt the engine. When I tried to get it registered again I took the title in. For some reason they did not have weight on the title. I had already had it registered to I went home and got my old registration with the 6000 lb weight on it. She then charged me for a new title because she said I needed one with a weight. I complained that my reg shows a weight so it had to be on the paperwork I turned in when I bought the truck. I further explained that either the local branch did not type something in or the main office made a mistake on it and either way why am I being charged money for a new title for their screw up. She also tried to say that since I had a flat bed on the truck I needed to get a declared weight plate. The lowest weight available is 24,000 lbs so that woudl be double my trucks 12,000 lb gvw. It is a high gvw F-350 but it is still a pickup. I had to fight her on this. She said I would get a ticket for improper registration. I explained that I was an officer and there is know way I woudl get a ticket because she was wrong. She backed down and has not given me any trouble since. Incidently, I got the new title a few weeks later and it still did not have a weight on it. I now make sure to renew the plate right before it expires to avoid trouble with it. This summer I am putting a new cab on it and will need to get a state issued VIN for it so that should really screw things up. If any one wants copies of the Michigan law pm me and I will send you a file or link to the law.

Rattlehead

Dodgemain,

With the GVW plates, you also have the option of getting a 3 month, 6 month, or 12 month plate. I have been getting 6 month plates for the tractor because they are close to 1/2 as much $$, and only driving it during the warmer months. I try not to get my tags renewed until May, that will get me to October.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, my SF97 arrived Friday, took it in this morning and the clerk I spoke to originally passed me on to another clerk, clearly half the age of the first one. Well this second clerk looked over all of the GL paperwork, showed the manager, then proceeded to enter the info in the computer. Didn't bat an eye when I told her I wanted a Historic plate, just had me sign the form. Was in and out in twenty minutes with my new registration and a temporary tag.
There may be hope and change after all, at least at the SOS!

wsucougarx

Do a search on Gulfway insurance in here. Pretty much what I got out of it was, as soon as you put something in the back of the vehicl, it's cancelled. No problem until you get into a wreck or something.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
wsucougarx, I checked with Gulfway first, althought they were less expensive I wasn't comfortable with them or their restrictions so I stuck with State Farm. I've had State Farm insurance for thirty years, not going to switch just to save a few dollars. There are no restrictions on use as far as the insurance is concerned, the Historic plate does of course have restrictions but I can live with that.

ida34

I just sent you a reply to the pm. Did you take your own plate in or did you get the plate from them? The reason I ask is if you take in a plate from the year the truck was built you can get it registered and the registration is good for life. If they supply the plate then it is only for 10 years. Still a long time but I kind of like having the vintage plate on it.

Chuck

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chuck, Got the PM, thanks. I didn't have a '69 plate, so I just went with the State's usual Historical plate. When I get it I'd like to paint it 383 green and tan to somewhat match the truck. :-D Maybe I'll send a note to Jenny suggesting a color change for MV owners!

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No chocolates, just get there by 9AM with all of the paperwork in hand and a check or cash in the wallet. If you walk in after 10AM you'd better bring a fat book and your lunch!

ida34

Chuck, Got the PM, thanks. I didn't have a '69 plate, so I just went with the State's usual Historical plate. When I get it I'd like to paint it 383 green and tan to somewhat match the truck. :-D Maybe I'll send a note to Jenny suggesting a color change for MV owners!

I sent in a letter a couple of years ago to all my elected suggesting we either use the bumper numbers as a registration number of go to painting the plate numbers on the bumper. I never got ANY response. My tax dollars at work.

TedG

As usual, great advice Chuck! I spent 2 hours at the SOS for another hmmwv and another M35A2. The lady was very nice but the computer was fighting her. Sometimes I get lucky like Eric and sometimes not. I have never had them try to talk me out of historic plates except for the more current hmmwv's! lol

Chris...dodgemain, get that truck on the road and come over for a visit! I have not forgot about the front tire wieght, just have not had time to remove it.

dodgemain

Chris...dodgemain, get that truck on the road and come over for a visit! I have not forgot about the front tire wieght, just have not had time to remove it.
Hi Ted,
The truck runs and drives really well. It won't be long before it's ready for a road trip. No rush on that tire weight. When ever you get around to it is fine.
Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks