• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

lift questions

gt1009

Alright, the time has come.
The lift is here and ready to go on the truck, but my dad isn't too sure that it will be safe.
I need some help from you guys now. Please anyone with a lifted cucv or blazer post up about the following things. How does it ride, have you ever almost rolled it? I am only doing a 4 inch lift and I installed dual steering shocks, so I don't think I will have too much trouble. Also, does it raise your insurance to have a lift?
If you can answer either of these, or just provide more insight into owning a lifted truck, that would be great. I am writing a paper to my dad about why I should be allowed to lift the m1009. I think with your help it will work.
Thanks,

DMgunn

I've had a couple lifted Broncos (still have one) with 4-7" inches of lift, and never had any issues with near-death experiences. Obviously, the short wheelbase is the biggest factor that causes people to roll, if they are stupid. Because of your father's concerns, I would advise wider wheels when you buy tires. If you go with 10" wide wheels (with the same backspacing as your stockers), you add 4" of overall width, and compensate for any stability that was lost doing the lift. Plus the 10s won't look so "lost" in the fenderwells. Of course, the tires will give you 1/2" of lift for every 1" of increased diameter, but you can keep that to yourself, and maybe he won't consider it in his decision.

Or, just put the lift in, and say "What are you talking about, it's always been that tall."

DMgunn

Oops - forgot. Doesn't affect my insurance - 'course I haven't volunteered any info on mods.

Ride is of course dependent on the brand and type of lift. Most economical lifts will firm it up noticeably, which I consider a good thing, because it will reduce body roll to a point, and not hit the bumpstops so easily in the rough stuff.

Be sure to mention the benefit of seeing over other traffic, and how greater visibility equals greater safety. And if you hit a deer, it will meet the bumper, and do much less damage than if the Blazer were at stock height.

AJMBLAZER

Personally I think the Blazers almost should have come with lifted springs from the beginning, they always seemed to ride and driver better to me lifted a bit.

I'd use 15x8's with 3.75" or so of backspacing. Keep the tires under the fenders more but still gets them out there for a little bit of stability increase. Also easier on the 10 bolts front wheel bearings.

You know, www.ColoradoK5.com can answer all of your questions about this and a whole lot more...you registered there yet?
Take him over to that site and show him some of the pictures of guys offroading and what it takes to roll one of these things when properly assembled. If he can grasp common physics then he'll see driving it daily won't be an issue.
But what do I know...I drive a 6" lifted Geo Tracker on 31" muds...according to what I've been told it's a death trap waiting for the first good wind to roll over twice...in the parking lot... :roll:

IF...and I say IF your insurance company wants to raise your rates because the vehicle is lifted you should find a new insurance company. I did and am glad I did. With mine if anything happens and the vehicle is totaled all I have to do is provide documentation and receipts of what I did to it and they will prorate the value of my major add-ons.
Call them up and say you'd like to put some nice truck tires and wheels on it, nothing fancy...oh, and maybe a small lift...nothing like Big Foot or anything. See how they react and ask for the official company policy on it. If they react poorly then start pestering dad to change insurance companies. It's been my experience that the companies least willing (or not at all) to deal with modified vehicles and vehicle enthusiasts usually are overcharging anyways.

CCATLETT1984

with the stiffer springs that most lifts come with, you will have almost zero body roll, it will feel tigher than the stock suspension. As long as you dont try to make a tight turn at 50mph you'll be fine. My truck rides like its on rails. the wider tires will help with stability greatly.