• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

lifting a cucv

1984CUCV

I have a M1008 and want to put a 6 inch superlift on it. Do I have to lengthen the drive shaft? Any other issues I should know about before i do the lift? I am installing a droped pitman arm as apposed to a cross over steering system. Any help would be greatly aprreciated. Thanks!!

AJMBLAZER

www.ColoradoK5.com is the best asset for info on lifting and modifying 73-84 GM trucks/SUV's.

That said CCATLETT1984 on here has a 6" Superlift system on his 1008 and went through some of those struggles. Ask him about the steering arm issues.

CCATLETT1984

whatever you do, DO NOT INSTALL A LIFT BLOCK FOR THE STEERING ARM. You WILL break the studs (i speak from experience) and usually they break flush with the surface of the knuckle. It sucks trying to drill out grade 8 studs, I ended up replacing a knuckle.

CCATLETT1984

As for your driveshafts, for 6" lift unless you get very flexy springs, you do not need to do anything, advise that you put in new u-joints whn you lift it though, since you'll be under it already.

sweetk30

drop pit man only on stock 4x4 steering system. if you want best for offroad and lift setup. then go crossover.

requires 81-up for your truck 2x4 steering box. then crossover kit like this one http://www.offroaddesign.com/Dana60crossover.htm

then get one of these what ever setup you use. http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/steeringkit.htm thay work and you will feel the stiffer non flex in the steering on road test after install.

heck lots of good info on that site with good kits and parts.

p.s. dont buy rough country or super lift. thay are stiff as he!! you dont want that i bet.

Croatan_Kid

Go back a page or two on the forum list....I just lifted mine 4 inches and put 1100R16 Michelin XZLs on stock rims. I had very good luck not to have to deal with any rust or anything stuck too bad. The worst part was cutting the passenger side upper shackle bolt, which you won't have to do unless you replace the shackles or upper bushings.

I used a drop pitman arm for now. I'm going crossover as soon as I can though.

CCATLETT1984

I love my superlift springs, its all depending on what you do with the truck.

I got my crossover arm and rod/ends from northwestfabworks. I couldnt be happier

you can use a drop pitman and a S-shaped draglink, but crossover is the way to correct it properly. besides it fixes the factory steering and takes the stress off of the frame so it doesnt crack.