• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Light Bulb Replacement

Brent13

Here comes another question about the M101. How do we convert the 24v system to 12v. I removed one of the tail-light covers and found 4 bulbs. Do I need to replace all 4 bulbs? And the military plug, just cut it off and wire up a civilian plug to the existing cord This is the first fix I want to accomplish so that I can take to the car wash and blast out the bed. Also will allow me to travel while trying to figure out how to register; weigh, VIN inspect, etc.

Thank You,
Brent

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Brent if you are ever going to ge a military truck DO NOt cut the Big plug off. Bulbs can be replaced with 12v bulbs from the parts store. I`ve changed/messed with 4 pig tails on my 105 trailer. The wires can be spliced into they are color coded so you can splice the regular vehicle hookup into it. If you need to PM me I`ll walk you through it ,,pretty easy.

Neil

Brent13

I have no plans on ever purchasing a Military truck, so I hope to lop off the plug and wire on a civilian plug. Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks,
Brent

CGarbee

Brent13 said:
I have no plans on ever purchasing a Military truck, so I hope to lop off the plug and wire on a civilian plug. Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks,
Brent
Instead of lopping off the military plug, consider just unpluging the cable from its junction to the main trailer harness at the tongue and putting it up for sale here (or donating it to a MV owner near you who may need it for a trailer). That way, you will have numbered wire ends at the main harness that you can easilly connect to with a civilian 4 wire trailer plug/wire kit.

As mentioned, all you have to do at the lights is to replace the 24volt bulbs with 12 volt versions, either in incandescent or LED versions.

The M series wire number for the electrical circuits can be found at:
http://www.olive-drab.com/od_mseries_circuits.php3

Cross reference for 24v to 12v bulbs used in the lights may be found at:
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/lightbulbs.htm

Good luck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me add to what Cabell said. If you unplug the pigtail from the main harness (right under the front of the trailer box), you can easily attach the round bullet connectors right to the military harness. No fuss, no muss, easy and non permanent. Saves a bunch of work with the military plug. Additionally, you will only have to replace the top 2 bulbs in the trailer lights, the other 2 are for blackout which you won't have on your towing vehicle. About 15 minutes worth of work.

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Brent,, All of these post are correct. I like what CGarbee said best ,,Just unplug the pig tail. I`ll be glad to take it off your hands. Seems I`ve had not so good luck with pig tails lately .
Neil

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks