• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Listening to radio with key on ??

acetomatoco

Put the key on accessory position, or your glow plugs will cycle, they are temperature controlled.. Of course, CUCV do not have a radio... so one must have been added...just wire it for the accy position and you will be fine... for a while...you can wire it direct to the B battery which is not used much and fuse it independently.. If it is a solid state radio without a a boom box amplifier...and plays only Military Marches you will enjoy it...

AJMBLAZER

Mine doesn't seem to have an ACC position. There's on and off as far as key positions.

I just don't listen to the radio with the truck off for now.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
how about an 8-track hooked to LS-454 or LS-166 speakers (the units are 8 ohms inside, you just bypass the transformer)

AJMBLAZER

Having recently had experience with 8 tracks the problem is most tapes don't seem to have survived the last 30 years all that well...

TheRainbowBoxer

If CUCV's have a standard gm ignition harness, you can probably find a thick brown wire coming from the steering column. You'll need to fuse whatever lead you tap into it since grounding out heavy gauge wires from your igniton switch will result in a bad day. This wire gives power in the acc and ignition positions. Good luck and hope this helps.

mangus580

CUCV's do not have the ACC position. While I dont think there would be an issue in doing it, you will have excessive battery drain. I would suggest maybe an accessory toggle to power on the radio for when you want to listen without the key.

mangus580

No, they should cycle a number of times... until the timer runs out. Mine cycles for about 30 seconds or so... not sure it knows how cold it is out, but i think it does it longer when cold.

Starlight

RE: Re: RE: Listening to radio with key on ??

Yes, it was the glow plugs I was worried aobut . If they keep cycling I'll keep it to a minimum. Or go with the togle idea. Thanks.

mangus580

they should time out after a while. Also, if you had the engine running recently and its still hot, they shouldnt turn on anyway.

Starlight

Mike, THAT'S the answer I was looking for ! thanks ! Off to Canada, have a great summer to all ! Next project is the Blazer for winter, Capt.T