• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Cab Height and Weight Constraints

REDee

​Questions for all ...

re M1078 series

How much height above the cab do you need to open up your rig? Or ... what is the absolute minimum height you need to open your rig before hitting an object above it?

How much weight can you add to the cab without over stressing the mechanical / hydraulic opening mechanism? I assume that this is in part dependent on the location of the added weight (think roof rack or AC versus floor and seat mods - and the difference in required torque).

How much weight can you add to the cab before having a negative effect on the air ride shocks?

Last edited:

REDee

Thanks - searching - but not finding quite the level of detail I need.

As far as the height - my best guess is 146” - but I hope it’s an inch or two less ��

coachgeo

Thanks - searching - but not finding quite the level of detail I need.

As far as the height - my best guess is 146” - but I hope it’s an inch or two less ��
admit it is a PITA to search in here. My bad for not offering search suggestions in previous post. Adv. google search works best. "bridge height" or "Bridge Clearance" might lead toward finding the threads? Searching is an art form lol

REDee

Thanks - as a new guy around here it is amazing how much information you can find ... mostly by accident :)

The word ‘bridge’ never occurred to me.

Thank you again.

REDee

OK - I must have misunderstood / not asked the right question - - -

I am not looking for the vehicle height - I have that - no problem.

I am looking for the clearance needed when the cab swings up around the pivot point to access the engine.

Just from scaling - it looks like the maximum point of the cab would be about 146" from the grade ... so if you compressed the front suspension as suggested by wheelspinner above you just might be able to swing the cab down to service the engine inside a 12 ft tall shop.

?????

Can anyone confirm?

I have looked through the first tech manual - still looking to get a feel for the maximum weight the cab can safely open with - and the maximum weight that does not interfere with the cab air suspension.

Thank you all again!

Last edited:

REDee

Maybe this question is more difficult than I realized ...

Re maximum cab weight - my plan is to add significant sound deadening material - add AC - and perhaps even move the spare to the front. So - thats 500 pounds added to the cab. Wll the hydraulics and pivot points work well? Were the hydraulics / pivots / latching designed to be operational with turret mounted equipment? (I would hope so.)

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the cab lift was meant to include turret and equipment (e.g. M2HB). You should be fine with just a few hundred pounds extra.

Aernan

I found a LMTV with the "van body" and went and measured it.

There is a giant frame area on the front of the box that can contain 2 air conditioners and I believe a power pack. each side has different clearance below those boxes.

Spare tire side from the base of the box to the AC unit is 52 1/2"
On the airbox side 59"

If you have the flatbed on your truck there are 3 rails. The bottom main frame rail, a large c channel on top of that which is also frame and a smaller c channel ~ 2" then some perpendicular beams. Where those perpendicular beams start is where to measure from.

Sorry I did not measure how far that cage overhangs the spare tire area. I'll go measure that this week.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks