• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV FMTV Exhaust Brake Questions?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Following up on one of the original questions about whether brake lights come on with exhaust brake: i listen a lot on CB when on road trips. I heard a couple of CB'ers laughing about the 18 wheeler descending a long grade with his brakes on continuously. They were laughing that his brakes would be toast before he got to the bottom. But he was listening and told them his brake lights come on when his exhaust brake was applied, and he was not dragging his brakes. So some 'big trucks' do activate brakes with Exhaust brakes.
Not that I know of - more specifically - my trucks do NOT turn on the brake lights when the PAC or Jake Brake is on and you back out of the throttle.

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Following up on one of the original questions about whether brake lights come on with exhaust brake: i listen a lot on CB when on road trips. I heard a couple of CB'ers laughing about the 18 wheeler descending a long grade with his brakes on continuously. They were laughing that his brakes would be toast before he got to the bottom. But he was listening and told them his brake lights come on when his exhaust brake was applied, and he was not dragging his brakes. So some 'big trucks' do activate brakes with Exhaust brakes.
I keep thinking this situation is more appropriate for hazard lights, not brake lights—

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can see the military not wanting lights to come on in the wrong time or place ! But in commercial veh since early 80s has made the brake light come on when jacobs (jake) brake were in use because for those of us that have had to run harder and faster than L.E would like us to lots of us ran with the jakes turned on at night ! So we would either put the brake light on a toggle switch on the dash or pull the relay to keep the lights from coming on when we would get hit on our radar detectors were trying to drop speed fast without lighting the world behind us up at night and looking guilty so if you were meeting a radar cop your hoping he shoots someone out in front of you so you can get slowed down and stay dark ! And if he shot you he had you but if hes slow on the lock button and hes watching you you might get that speed down enough to not make them mad and if they didnt see brake lights they didnt think we were using radar detectors !

Also over use of jakes is not good for any engine so word to the wise theyre there for you to use to help not over heating brakes on steep grades .

When CAT went from A model 3406 to B model one of the main updates were to put a better top ring on the piston to hold up better to use of jake brakes way back when people were just bolting jakes to any motor without changing top rings were baking theyre motors

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks