• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV/FMTV Quck Parts Reference Spreadsheet #2 (w/ CAT 3116)

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CLICK HERE TO SEE IT: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15EAAnbRXqh4LJuFsBxOPNgC-ICHeJdeFltiSmE5jjSc/edit?usp=sharing

I've been maintaining my own parts reference spreadsheet, since it doesn't seem like the stickied one has been updated in many years. I made a copy and have been adding every part I fix or buy. Thanks to the original creator.

I also noticed that some of the filters listed in the original spreadsheet were not correct. I'm not sure how that happened, unless they had a newer model with a different engine. I have the original '96 M1078, with the CAT 3116. I went and bought all the filters according to the spreadsheet, and the fuel separator and fuel filters were visually obviously wrong (e.g. one of the numbers was a fuel filter with hose barbs that you put inline on a hose, then another number was long and skinny instead of short and fat like it should be, etc.). Then I noticed that some of the cross reference numbers for some of the other filters (I think it was initially oil, but I ended up checking them all) didn't line up either, and that those other brands listed different filters as the cross to Cat's filter, so I fixed those too.

Anyways, I keep updating thing with anything I buy, or numbers I see people post, etc. If you have anything you want added, let me know.

coachgeo

Far as I know the one in the sticky is updated EVERY TIME someone sends the fellow new information. It is only as good as those who send information, and information in it is only as good as the info sent or found in the pages of this forum. Some may be generic parts from the commercial truck inventories and NOT OEM ..... which is invaluable information.... often cause commercial truck inventories can be half priced in comparison.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's fine, I knew some people wouldn't like the idea, and others would. For whatever reason you want to speculate, the other spreadsheet isn't up to date and is simply incorrect. That makes it rather useless to me, and I don't want to spend the extra time to have all the discussions necessary to fix it when I can make and update my own so much easier. You're free to use whichever system works better for you.

The parts that I found that were wrong (and there were several I found already) were just straight wrong. They weren't commercial alternatives to OEM (which I've still included in mine), they were just wrong. There is no way that an inline fuel filter is a substitute for a thread on can style. There is no way the long skinny fuel filter will fit where the short fat one goes, because it isn't wide enough to seal and is too long and hits things. The incorrectly cross referenced oil filters have the wrong threads. I have no explanation for all that.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
That's fine, I knew some people wouldn't like the idea, and others would. For whatever reason you want to speculate, the other spreadsheet isn't up to date and is simply incorrect. That makes it rather useless to me, and I don't want to spend the extra time to have all the discussions necessary to fix it when I can make and update my own so much easier. You're free to use whichever system works better for you.

The parts that I found that were wrong (and there were several I found already) were just straight wrong. They weren't commercial alternatives to OEM (which I've still included in mine), they were just wrong. There is no way that an inline fuel filter is a substitute for a thread on can style. There is no way the long skinny fuel filter will fit where the short fat one goes, because it isn't wide enough to seal and is too long and hits things. The incorrectly cross referenced oil filters have the wrong threads. I have no explanation for all that.
The parts spreadsheet is updated when part numbers are obtained or sent to me. Part numbers used in the spreadsheet are obtained from threads or from PMs sent to me. I do not own an LMTV so i am not looking for parts for it. It also says that if there is an incorrect part listed to email me on it in which i have not heard anything from you or anyone else. It also says to email on adding parts and i will do it. I had one complaint on filters awhile back and it was fixed. It was actually last updated with new parts concerning the protection valves 14 days ago.

If something is wrong then you can't fix it if you dont know about. My sourcing for part cross reference is endless. Well beyond your ability or your system has the ability to cross. Your link probably won't be added to a sticky and i will simply merge the numbers into mine.

No sense in confusing people with 20 different spreadsheets

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are free to use it however you wish. I'm not in competition with you. It's foremost for myself so that I know I've kept it all straight and documented all the things I've figured out, but I'm sharing it in case someone else would like to benefit from my OCD. I have an LMTV, so I want to know exactly the parts I need for my truck, where to get them, and what things I've bought to fix it, in case I need to do so again (which has been a theme for my truck lately). I'll continue to add things as I fix or upgrade them.

This might push the conversation over the edge, but if you don't have an LMTV, why would you want to put yourself in charge of maintaining the parts spreadsheet? I don't want to take the time to PM you about everything I find, when I can add it to my own spreadsheet in seconds. Nor do I want to have to consult anyone about what should or should not be included. Objectively, I don't think others do either, since you said you've gotten relatively few updates or additions. I'm not saying you aren't entitled to do whatever you choose with your time. I'm merely saying that for me the motivation to continue updating my spreadsheet is that I'm constantly fixing/upgrading the actual truck, so as I find out things I am compelled to write them somewhere. Initially, I had another spreadsheet just for my own record keeping, but then it took little time to merge the info from yours with it and now I have a single source for all of it.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I think you were actually looking at the wrong spreadsheet on most of your filter comments. They have been the same for awhile and none are in line style filters and came directly from threads.

I was asked last year to create one so i started the spreadsheet just like i had done with the deuce and 5 tons. I update it when i have time. The point of the spreadsheet originally is to be able to find parts in a pinch or on the road.

You just simply could have asked for access to the spreadsheet like as you can see another LMTV person has.

Also the spreadsheet and parts you added are not specifically for the m1078 with 3116. Alot of the parts fit the other variants and A1 series 3126 trucks.

coachgeo

There is a good thing in Redundancy. They put two of everything in the Ark and today we are suppose to keep backups of our computers..... so all in all... no harm no foul to have both spreadsheets when you think of it that way

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you were actually looking at the wrong spreadsheet on most of your filter comments. They have been the same for awhile and none are in line style filters and came directly from threads.
No, I'm not looking at the wrong spreadsheet, though yours has since been changed. You can see there is a note on the Napa fuel filter cell where I say that it used to read "FIL 3623" and that the correct number is "FIL 3239". That comment is dated in June. I went and bought the 3623, got it home, and when I opened the box I knew it was instantly wrong. Here, look at a 3623: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FIL3623

I then took that back, and got one of the others you list, I think the Baldwin BF7632. That was way too long, and ran into stuff. At that point, I gave up on the spreadsheet and started from scratch. I called the Cat dealer and gave them both my old and new engine serial numbers, and got the correct Cat filter numbers. I put those in my spreadsheet and then got other manufacturer's cross references for those parts. I checked the specs on those alternate parts to make sure they were the same (e.g. diameter, length, threads, etc.).

Then your fuel water separator wasn't correct either. You can see that one in about 2 seconds, because Napa and Wix part numbers are the same, but Wix puts an extra 3 in front. So a Napa 3239 does not equal a Wix 33755 (it would equal a Wix 33239). You can look that the specs aren't the same either.

And so there was more wasted time.

This was the point where I decided to make my own, largely because of time efficiency. I didn't want to waste time having the conversation, or convincing you to recheck it, or whatever. Maybe those are for another engine. That still doesn't explain why someone who's "sourcing for part cross reference is endless" would put two filter numbers next to each other that instantly are obvious they can't be the same. Or if you know they're not for the same thing, why not split them on different lines? And here's where not actually owning the truck doesn't help.

Ultimately, I'm just not interested in the ____ swinging contest, or having to spend extra time having to explain why it's wrong. None of that makes any difference to having a correct spreadsheet for my truck. I use it exactly how you said... I print a copy and keep it in my truck for emergencies, and I update the digital copy with all the new things I find and verify (along with verifying things that were from yours, when I can).

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
No, I'm not looking at the wrong spreadsheet, though yours has since been changed. You can see there is a note on the Napa fuel filter cell where I say that it used to read "FIL 3623" and that the correct number is "FIL 3239". That comment is dated in June. I went and bought the 3623, got it home, and when I opened the box I knew it was instantly wrong. Here, look at a 3623: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FIL3623

I then took that back, and got one of the others you list, I think the Baldwin BF7632. That was way too long, and ran into stuff. At that point, I gave up on the spreadsheet and started from scratch. I called the Cat dealer and gave them both my old and new engine serial numbers, and got the correct Cat filter numbers. I put those in my spreadsheet and then got other manufacturer's cross references for those parts. I checked the specs on those alternate parts to make sure they were the same (e.g. diameter, length, threads, etc.).

Then your fuel water separator wasn't correct either. You can see that one in about 2 seconds, because Napa and Wix part numbers are the same, but Wix puts an extra 3 in front. So a Napa 3239 does not equal a Wix 33755 (it would equal a Wix 33239). You can look that the specs aren't the same either.

And so there was more wasted time.

This was the point where I decided to make my own, largely because of time efficiency. I didn't want to waste time having the conversation, or convincing you to recheck it, or whatever. Maybe those are for another engine. That still doesn't explain why someone who's "sourcing for part cross reference is endless" would put two filter numbers next to each other that instantly are obvious they can't be the same. Or if you know they're not for the same thing, why not split them on different lines? And here's where not actually owning the truck doesn't help.

Ultimately, I'm just not interested in the ____ swinging contest, or having to spend extra time having to explain why it's wrong. None of that makes any difference to having a correct spreadsheet for my truck. I use it exactly how you said... I print a copy and keep it in my truck for emergencies, and I update the digital copy with all the new things I find and verify (along with verifying things that were from yours, when I can).
Maybe you should check the old threads where the part numbers were posted. The numbers were not just made up out of thin air. I also dont know why some people don't look at their parts in store before they take them home. You should know what your looking for if you already have one on your truck. . I will take the time on Thursday to go thru the entire 2 LMTVs i have sitting in my driveway to get the NSNs and run it thru the system. Ironically nothing you added to the spreadsheet is available locally. Not much good for road side repair or a run to the store thing.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe you should check the old threads where the part numbers were posted. The numbers were not just made up out of thin air. I also dont know why some people don't look at their parts in store before they take them home. You should know what your looking for if you already have one on your truck. . I will take the time on Thursday to go thru the entire 2 LMTVs i have sitting in my driveway to get the NSNs and run it thru the system. Ironically nothing you added to the spreadsheet is available locally. Not much good for road side repair or a run to the store thing.
I had to order the parts, so I sent my buddy to pick them up later that day. I knew as soon as I saw them that they were wrong. Even if I had been there to check them, I still would have been going home to figure out what the right parts were.

In response to the sarcasm about looking up all the NSNs, I never asked you to do anything. You could have ignored this whole post, or copied the changes into your spreadsheet. And yet you're here trying to show me how much better than me you are at "endlessly" cross referencing parts, picking up parts at the store, and keeping a spreadsheet, etc. What your spreadsheet taught me was that it was untrustworthy, and since there is currently no other available concise source than yours, that the only reasonable way I could have a trustworthy list was to do it myself. I'm now sharing that with you, and everyone else.

Last edited:

keithuyasha

Here's a few random parts, whoever finds where I can get them first wins best spreadsheet,lol need a drain plug for the radiator, and the lock bolt and knob for the tilt steering.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a few random parts, whoever finds where I can get them first wins best spreadsheet,lol need a drain plug for the radiator, and the lock bolt and knob for the tilt steering.
I took a look at the steering knob. The bolt is unusual enough that it may be custom. I checked the threads in the knob, and they are M12 x 1.75mm. It wouldn't be terribly hard for a machinist to make a new "foot" for a standard bolt (Socket Head Cap SCrew). McMaster # 60795K15 would be a suitable knob.

Duckworthe

There is a good thing in Redundancy. They put two of everything in the Ark "

That thought process wont work in todays world. Because there isn't just two of everything. As in "Boy and Girl" now its "whatever you feel like for the day!" HAHAHAHA silly world. Well as long as people today are happy I guess.

IncredibleHulk

I need to know if anyone has a number for the fuel filter that goes on the fuel separator/heater. Original number is nsn 2910-01-361-8229. Been trying to locate a replacement all day any help is appreciated

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to know if anyone has a number for the fuel filter that goes on the fuel separator/heater. Original number is nsn 2910-01-361-8229. Been trying to locate a replacement all day any help is appreciated
There are part numbers in the spreadsheet. Did you check those out?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks