• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Fuel Priming Problem After Filter Change

usaskeet

Need some help here guys. I have changed the fuel filter and water separator on my 1079 and am not able to keep the motor running. I am priming the system via the primer bulb above the separator and bleeding it through the vent above the secondary fuel filter. Once I do that, the truck will run for a few minutes and eventually die. Am I missing something here? Also, when I push the priming bulb, there is fuel being pushed through the drain hose on the water separator. Is this normal? I had to clear this hose when I changed the filter, as it was completely clogged. I have to put my thumb over the hose to prevent fuel from coming out to prime the system now. Any advice is much appreciated!!!

Skyhawk13205

Need some help here guys. I have changed the fuel filter and water separator on my 1079 and am not able to keep the motor running. I am priming the system via the primer bulb above the separator and bleeding it through the vent above the secondary fuel filter. Once I do that, the truck will run for a few minutes and eventually die. Am I missing something here? Also, when I push the priming bulb, there is fuel being pushed through the drain hose on the water separator. Is this normal? I had to clear this hose when I changed the filter, as it was completely clogged. I have to put my thumb over the hose to prevent fuel from coming out to prime the system now. Any advice is much appreciated!!!
Sound like you have an air suction problem. The drain hose should not leak fuel unless it is loose or damaged, you can change your water separator filter with a Baldwin BF1222. It is a single piece without the drain assy.

usaskeet

Sound like you have an air suction problem. The drain hose should not leak fuel unless it is loose or damaged, you can change your water separator filter with a Baldwin BF1222. It is a single piece without the drain assy.
Which of these Baldwin filters are you referring too? Does this delete the plastic portion below the filter that is powered with the heater and drain?
That’s what I’m thinking. Which one of these Baldwin filters are you referring too? Does it delete the plastic portion below the filter that is powered with the heater and drain? Maybe re-install my old filter to troubleshoot?

Attachments

Skyhawk13205

Which of these Baldwin filters are you referring too? Does this delete the plastic portion below the filter that is powered with the heater and drain?

That’s what I’m thinking. Which one of these Baldwin filters are you referring too? Does it delete the plastic portion below the filter that is powered with the heater and drain? Maybe re-install my old filter to troubleshoot?
It is the one that deleted the heater and the plastic drain bowl.

I used a Napa one https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FIL3417

coachgeo

have heard more than once where a person pulled a filter not realizing the rubber gasket or O-ring (which ever it came with OEM) dislodged from the filter and stayed on the truck..... owner screwed new filter ontop ...... thus it would never seal right causing similar problems to what you are experiencing.

something to check.... It is always something stupid.

Ronmar

The Baldwin alternate filter is the BF1222. Yes it deletes the plastic bowl and heater and has it’s own drain valve. Have used them for years at work…

NO, you should not get fuel out of the drain port on the bottom of the filter when priming. Sounds like your drain fitting is loose or not sealing properly. The system must be able to pull a vacuum to lift fuel from the tank. It is way easier to suck in air than lift fuel if the opportunity arrises…

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks