• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV M1078 Transmission Fluid Change To ATF Write Up

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So my 1078 has 17500 ish miles on it, it is 1994 so I'm a little leary of swapping out fluid when the transmission has had oil in it for 30 years / I know it's better for it but I get scared it will screw the transmission up . Thoughts on people doing this with these older trucks
Me personally, I would leave it like it is. If you are due for a transmission filter change - go for it. Otherwise I would leave it alone. My M1088 and my M1089 run a few thousand miles a year. They both crank up and shift fairly well (smoothly). The M1089 shifts a little "harder" but it weighs in at about 40,000# too, so I am perfectly happy with mine the way they are.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info, Im curious about the DEX VI is that another viable solution? I ask because the spreadsheet mentions Dex III and Mobile ATF D/M . Just wan to make sure I change it out with the right fluid when I do it
All versions of Dexron are backwards compatible with all previous versions.

The US Army currently uses 15w40 in older trucks (they never flush them to change the fluid type), and both synthetic blend Dex VI and full synthetic Dex VI in newer trucks (all the A1P2 FMTV's use Dex VI). It's up to the unit to decide between full synthetic and synthetic blend - both are available in the system and there's probably not much functional difference between them.

j_boucher

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Me personally, I would leave it like it is. If you are due for a transmission filter change - go for it. Otherwise I would leave it alone. My M1088 and my M1089 run a few thousand miles a year. They both crank up and shift fairly well (smoothly). The M1089 shifts a little "harder" but it weighs in at about 40,000# too, so I am perfectly happy with mine the way they are.
Normally I would agree but I wanted to travel next January for at least 6 months and now I am working through the truck systems preparing for the trip

j_boucher

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All versions of Dexron are backwards compatible with all previous versions.

The US Army currently uses 15w40 in older trucks (they never flush them to change the fluid type), and both synthetic blend Dex VI and full synthetic Dex VI in newer trucks (all the A1P2 FMTV's use Dex VI). It's up to the unit to decide between full synthetic and synthetic blend - both are available in the system and there's probably not much functional difference between them.
Thanks for the info , greatly appreciated

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Normally I would agree but I wanted to travel next January for at least 6 months and now I am working through the truck systems preparing for the trip
Well, at that rate you could chew up your transmission and replace it by the time you are ready to make your trip.

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is why I asked about how many miles you were going to drive, I run mine all over the country.-last year 10,000 miles..
I run Full syn because of that.
A parade truck,
Eh, change filters and yippikyaa.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks