• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lmtv tire leak

Smuir1201

Hey all hows it going.

Trying to get some advise on a air leak. I work for the police dept and purchased 2 LMTV 4x4s after Harvey. I have one with a driver rear tire air leak that I can not find. It does have the CTIS system and I have sprayed all over with soapy water trying to find the leak to no avail. MY CTIS control has all solid lights activated and I have switched out the control head with one from the other LMTV and neither will activate the CTIS system and fill the tires. I can press the different buttons and I hear a quick air release but nothing else happens.

I have to manually fill that tire up about once a month as it loses all air pressure. Im not sure if the CTIS issue and the tire air leak are the same problem or two different ones. Any ideas?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Air up that tire, remove the banjo bolt from the wheel stud, and soap test to see if you get a bubble in the banjo fitting. If so, the wheel valve could have contamination or be defective. If that is good, the O ring at the wheel flange is likely bad. Hard to bubble check that unless you use a swimming pool. The CTIS system can be inop but that should not drain your tire.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A tire leak that takes a month to go down is probably not the CTIS issue. The tire leak, since you have ruled out CTIS component leaks, is probably the o-ring leaking between the wheel halves. There's no way to fix that other than breaking down the tire/wheel and replacing the o-ring.

I had one leaking for months and it never fixed itself LOL.

For the CTIS issue, there are many possible problems, most not indicating failed CTIS components. Bet the most common one is the wet air tank simply not having enough air in it to keep the CTIS satisfied. Neither air tank gauge on the dash tells what wet tank pressure is. It takes a strong idle to keep up enough air if the CTIS is trying to fill a tire.

Smuir1201

Ok I will try the banjo nut and see if that is the issue. If not onto the tire itself. I'm guessing those aren't tube tires like the old deuces correct? I can just find a NOS less dry rotted tire and a big truck tire shop to change out that tire. Is the oring gonna be an ebay item?

I forgot to mention yes both tank gauges are showing 120psi but understand that the wet tank doesn't have a gauge on it. Has anyone just put an inline gauge on the tank itself at the water release plug?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Take off the banjo bolt. Rubber band a plastic bag tight over the bolt and hose. If bag expands over time then air is leaking thru the valve. Very common the valves corrode inside and go bad. If by chance someone swapped out the banjo bolt for a regular bolt that can cause a flat also.

Smuir1201

Update:

Tried the banjo bold test and no dice, so guessing its the O-ring. Now to locate the part and a shop with big enough equipment to replace it.

I printed the troubleshoot for the CTIS 5 lights so time to start going through that. If I can get the CTIS working then a slow leak on the tire doesn't matter because it will at least air it up.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

Smuir1201

So i got a new oring for the leaking tire, should be installing it Tuesday. The truck also didn’t come with a spare so i got one. Now that i got it all the way back and on the truck I’m pretty sure it’s the wrong rim. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would be awesome! Strouhal coming out on Tuesday to fix the wheel as well as 7 flats on our 2 old M135s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Send me a PM of where to drop it. Will need a new o ring too.

You guys have M35s or the old GMC M135s with automatic? Nobody uses those anymore.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks