• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loaded out a P51 Mustang today

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, as many of you know, I'm in the machinery moving business and thought I had moved just about everything until today. We loaded a P51 out of a basement in Nashville headed for a museum somewhere in Louisiana.

The plane belonged to a guy named Pony Maples who passed away earlier this year. He had a WWII aviation museum set up in his basement complete with the P51.

The plane is completely restored but has no wings. The museum that purchased it is planning on selling the engine to get enough money to buy some wings. They are going to hang it from the ceiling and don't want the added weight of the engine. It's kind of a shame because all the paperwork is more or less completed to make it operational again. I was told the plane sold for $320,000 with the wings missing.

If you get a chance google "Pony Maples". This guy was something else and had a huge collection of WWII stuff. He also founded Ramo enterprises that made the M2HB for the military.

Attachments

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like it is headed to the National WW2 Museum in New Orleans as they have aircraft indoors suspended from the rafters. Maybe I can take some after pics once it is in the collection and displayed?

gunboy1656

Got to print this out so when people look at me funny for owning a deuce I can show them what this guy stored in his basement.

That is not something you see everyday.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of the other stuff he had were still in the basement but wasn't on display so I didn't get any pics. I did find out there are many pics online through a search when it was still all set up.

The plane has a immaculate paint job on it but they said they were going to repaint it for a Tuskegee Airmen display. Evidently their planes were painted different.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What a legacy! I guess the fact that he "learned to fly his first plane on the way home fome buying it" says an awful lot. Wish I had met him.

Also wish I had the wallet it will take to buy that engine.........

The museum that purchased it is planning on selling the engine to get enough money to buy some wings.
I have spent much time thinking about this.

I am a Collector of US military weapons and equipment. My collection will last longer than I will.

What am I to do with my collection, when that time comes? It has taken me YEARS to gather all of this stuff together. I hate the thought of donating it to a museum - and then having it parted out or sold off just so they can pay the light bill - or - buy a new pair of wings for their airplane.

If it can't stay together, then I hope they bury it under me, so I can guard it. That will take a big hole.

Heath_h49008

What a legacy! I guess the fact that he "learned to fly his first plane on the way home fome buying it" says an awful lot. Wish I had met him.

Also wish I had the wallet it will take to buy that engine.........
Seems I recall a P-51 in New Mexico that might have use of some mechanicals... Coolers, engine, etc.... Spares can be hard to come by, and I know they have their own A&Ps to overhaul.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wish I had met him.
Me too. You know, I have known about him for several years and wanted to meet him but I always thought he was some big business man that didn't want to be bothered. After talking to the people at his house I found out that he loved to meet new people and would let anybody come over and tour his house and factory that asked. If I had known he had been so hospitable, I would have called him up years ago and hung out with him awhile.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found a vid of him online talking about the plane and he stated he had sent the wings out to be rebuilt at that time. All I know for sure is they stated the wings weren't with the sale of the plane when we were there to load it. Evidently they somehow went missing from the time he sent them out for repair to the time they settled his estate.

I'm thinking maybe they were in too bad of shape to be repaired or the repair cost was going to be more than a replacement set of wings.

zguinness

Sounds like it is headed to the National WW2 Museum in New Orleans as they have aircraft indoors suspended from the rafters. Maybe I can take some after pics once it is in the collection and displayed?
I'm headed there this weekend. I'm a former sub guy and my wife says they have a submarine exhibit right now. Gonna go check it out.

I'll have to go back when they get that P-51 hanging from the rafters.

ReoRider

In addition to the aircraft and firearm world, Pony was very active in the early days of the start of the current military vehicle club. He would show up at the meets with beautifully restored half-tracks and then enthusiastically share lots of technical and parts information with us newbies. That great attitude is the strength of the hobby and continues to flourish at the meets, in the publications and on the forums.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks