• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lock out hubs

usmcm35a2

I did not notice any change to mine, but I have air assist steering. I think the air assist mask any steering gains the lock outs added.

Dave08

This is one of the modifications that I have planned for my project. I look at it as the same as a Civy 4X4 as it cuts down on the drag thus adding some power and top end speed maybe. I would believe that otherwise you are constantly pushing the front transaxle gears as a huge mass. Let's face it, you are not going to get any great gains in fuel economy by adding lock outs but it may increase the steering somewhat, increase the power somewhat, and it may even give you a little more fuel economy if there is such a thing when we talk about our deuces. My thought process is pushing that mass and I plan on driving my deuce more on the hard surface environment than the off road environment. It may even help when towing somewhat. Just my 2cents, may be wrong and I will certainly watch for valid comments on this thread....I have been looking at the prices for this modification and they seem to all be priced at the $500 to $600 dollar range for the kits.
Dave08

Dave08

Just did a simple search for "Lock Out Hubs for Deuce" and came up with a lot of good reading both on lock out hubs and locking differentials. Pretty much right on as much of it as I read. Some good information. Increase in fuel economy was 1-2 MPG which surprised me; most of the information concerned steering, wear and tear on the front end and drive-ability.

Dave08

rlwm211

I have lockouts on my deuce and it does ease the steering effort and also makes it smoother especially when you let the wheel spin back to center after a turn. The other advantage is that all of the u-joints, gears and drive shalfts are not turning and therefore are not wearing. Front end u-joints and other components are not cheap nor are they easy to work on so anything I can do to reduce my need to do so is a win for me.

I also installed the front spline caps in place of the axle shafts in the front rear differential. That made a huge difference and the crabbing that occurs while turning disappeared. The vast majority of my 7000 miles I have driven in the last 3 years have been on highway. This improved my truck's road manners immensely.

I have needed the extra traction in a snow storm while on the road and the truck managed fine with the front axle and rear differential engaged. You really only need both the rears when you are in serious off road situations. I carry my axles with me and they install in about 5 minutes.

Resistance rolling down the road seemed to decrease which I am sure is tied with my MPG improving about 1 MPG.
After oil filter adapters this was my number 2 improvement for my deuce.

Just my opinions and I think that using my deuce as much as I have gives me enough experience to make my thoughts pretty accurate.
RL

Darwin T

i like it on my one of M35a2s and plan to add it to my M109a3. you can feel the difference and it seems like there is an increase across the board (fuel, power, speed). no proof though, no way to test it. i do recomend it thought.

now the con: (don't tell anyone about this) :oops: when you stick the truck in a mud hole and flip the switch on the transfer case and still can't get out. drive your ford ranger home. get another deuce drive back and pull it out. drive to the person who installed the hubs and tell the strory. just to realize that you forget to lock the front hub while you were stuck, and the olny other three people in the world who know your truck has the hubsare sitting in the same room. "Keep Your Mount Shut" because they will not let you live it down aua and you feel really stupid.

Attachments

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I have put them on an M35A2 and I felt that the truck drove better with the hubs on. I also put a set of desplined hubs on my M35A3 and it drove one heck of a lot better. And the wheels did not lope at all when the desplined hubs were on. However the desplined hubs are not the way to go on an A3 as when they did the modification to front wheel area they left out the bushing that was on the end of the axle shaft. Which caused the axle to rub on the end and get warm when using the desplined hubs. So I removed the desplined hubs and ordered a set of lockouts. Now to just get around to installing them after I modify the "hub cap" as they call the tin cover on the A3 wheel. I feel that the hubs are a very good addition to both the A2 and A3 trucks. Well worth the money.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i like it on my one of M35a2s and plan to add it to my M109a3. you can feel the difference and it seems like there is an increase across the board (fuel, power, speed). no proof though, no way to test it. i do recomend it thought.

now the con: (don't tell anyone about this) :oops: when you stick the truck in a mud hole and flip the switch on the transfer case and still can't get out. drive your ford ranger home. get another deuce drive back and pull it out. drive to the person who installed the hubs and tell the strory. just to realize that you forget to lock the front hub while you were stuck, and the olny other three people in the world who know your truck has the hubsare sitting in the same room. "Keep Your Mount Shut" because they will not let you live it down aua and you feel really stupid.
If you have a 5t with the air cutoff mod for the xcase shifting OFF, you can get struck,, not once but twice before you relize the air is off,:oops::doh:aua

FrankUSMC

I am living right by being kind to others. I walked into a truck shop that deals in military trucks and there was a set of M35 locking hubs on one of the shelfs. You could tell they had been there for awhile. I asked the owner of the shop would he sell them? He said he ordered the set years ago for some one who never came back to get them or pay for them. Then he said, would you give me $40 for them? I will not finnish the story you all ready know the ending.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Last edited:

Darwin T

what i have is accually a set of the desplined hubs on my M35a2. i keep the regular hubs in with my parts along with a wrench and gaskets. from the outside it looks the same. thats why there were on three people who know i had them. the machinest who desplined the hubs, the mechanic who installed them and the guy who was standing there when he installed them. like i said it can make you feel stupid after you through the air switch and still can't get out without another deuce pulling. i do plan on the real lockout hubs for my M109a3.

ps. the machines had to use 2 sets of cutters because "those things are hard as F***!"

nk14zp

what i have is accually a set of the desplined hubs on my M35a2. i keep the regular hubs in with my parts along with a wrench and gaskets. from the outside it looks the same. thats why there were on three people who know i had them. the machinest who desplined the hubs, the mechanic who installed them and the guy who was standing there when he installed them. like i said it can make you feel stupid after you through the air switch and still can't get out without another deuce pulling. i do plan on the real lockout hubs for my M109a3.

ps. the machines had to use 2 sets of cutters because "those things are hard as F***!"
Now the world knows.roflroflrofl

Darwin T

Now the world knows.roflroflrofl
i have no idea what you mean! :jumpin:

now back to the subject, could you put luckout hubs on the rear axles and lockers to adjust as needed? a year or two ago there was a thread talking about rear locking hubs, but i think it said you have to change the axles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks