• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lock outs, locking themselves problem.

w3azel

Ok problem solved, no welding or modifications needed. Pulled one cap and pushed the shafts all the way to one side. Even tapped on it with a hammer for good measure. Then took some crude measurements. Can't find my proper tool but a metal rod makes a crude measuring stick. Compared the depths of the AVM lockout to the hub cap. The lockout is a little over an inch deeper and its splines are in the exact same spot and for the same depth as the cap. Next measured how much of the shaft is still sticking out and how much of it will stay in contact with the caps teeth. I found that >80% of the shaft and cap will have contact even when the shafts have worked their way over to one side. After seeing that I have no problem keep the truck exactly how it is. No welding or modifications needed. If you don't believe me Id suggest purchasing a grizzly locker, AVM lockouts, and Overson double splined axle shafts to see for yourself. Thanks everyone for the help.

For anyone interested in doing the same as me but keeping the lockouts on it. I would HIGHLY suggest find a way to fill that extra 1" or so space in the lockout. That is really the difference of having 80% contact and 15%. Plus that should also fix the problem of the lockouts locking themselves while driving.

brianp454

Has anyone else tried this?

Ok problem solved, no welding or modifications needed. Pulled one cap and pushed the shafts all the way to one side. Even tapped on it with a hammer for good measure. Then took some crude measurements. Can't find my proper tool but a metal rod makes a crude measuring stick. Compared the depths of the AVM lockout to the hub cap. The lockout is a little over an inch deeper and its splines are in the exact same spot and for the same depth as the cap. Next measured how much of the shaft is still sticking out and how much of it will stay in contact with the caps teeth. I found that >80% of the shaft and cap will have contact even when the shafts have worked their way over to one side. After seeing that I have no problem keep the truck exactly how it is. No welding or modifications needed. If you don't believe me Id suggest purchasing a grizzly locker, AVM lockouts, and Overson double splined axle shafts to see for yourself. Thanks everyone for the help.

For anyone interested in doing the same as me but keeping the lockouts on it. I would HIGHLY suggest find a way to fill that extra 1" or so space in the lockout. That is really the difference of having 80% contact and 15%. Plus that should also fix the problem of the lockouts locking themselves while driving.

rustystud

Honestly, If anyone else wants to do this you should have the shafts drilled for a 3/8" rod ( the shafts should be drilled to a depth of 1" ) and then install a brass block that rides on the 3/8" rod. This will give the shafts something to push against . This is the way most all heavy axles are built today that use double splined shafts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks