• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Locker location

sermis

I had a post sometime back before I singled my truck. I am running 15.5’s on widened rims. I have front lockout hubs with air shift. I am running a single lockout hub on the center axel for on road use.
Where to start with lockers? I only have one locker at this time. Would it be better in the front axel for off road use or in the rear axel for help on road use to cut down on wheel spin from having the center locked out?
End goal is at least a front and rear locker for fun off road.
Is it possible to install the locker with the axels still in the truck? I know the centers are heavy but is there enough room to remove the center on the front?

M1075

Good post. I have been interested in the same thoughts and have asked for help on this before. I guess it depends on your application for the truck. If you have both air shift and front lockout hubs, I think the front axle would be best. If you run a disconnected rear axle and have middle axle slippage, then maybe the middle axle. If your offroad terrain is very hilly and you would expect to need traction in a valley to get out, then maybe the rear most axle should get the axle. I haven't helped you much, have I?

I have heard there is room to install the locker in the rear axle with it on the truck. I don't think that will work on the front axle. Either way, remember you will have to remove the axle shafts no matter what. If you install in the front axle, I think will need to align the steering knuckles to work together. I believe this is called "Clocking" the axles.

sermis

Re: RE: Locker location

M1075 said:
If you run a disconnected rear axle and have middle axle slippage, then maybe the middle axle.
If you install in the front axle, I think will need to align the steering knuckles to work together. I believe this is called "Clocking" the axles.
I only run one lockout hub on the center axel so that is out unless I add another splined axel and lockout hub.

Never thought about "Clocking the axels" on the front.

I am leaning towards the front. Maybe drop the front spring shackles, lift the front which should tilt the top of the axel foward.

rizzo

Re: RE: Locker location

sermis said:
I only run one lockout hub on the center axel so that is out unless I add another splined axel and lockout hub.

Never thought about "Clocking the axels" on the front.

I am leaning towards the front. Maybe drop the front spring shackles, lift the front which should tilt the top of the axel foward.
For maximum offroad traction I say the front. I would onlly do this with an air switch front axle (which you have).

I was also thinking of pulling the pins on the front springs and lettting them hangdown to get the pig out

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clocking eh? I can see where this could help with a spool but the Detroit can unlock and the axles will spin at different speeds and end up off from there clocking. Is that what clocking is, opposing the joint angles on the axle shafts to avoid vibration

sermis

I decided to put the locker in the front axel. Started tearing it down. First time I have ever been inside a Rockwell. I removed the tires, hubs, spendles, axels, and fluid. I replaced the fluid when I got the truck but it had a little water mixed in the fluid. I had a problem with it kicking it's boots off until I found out where to put the zippers. the U joints looked good.
Anybody know the torque spec's for the bolts inside the pumpkin?

spicergear

I have Selectros on my Rockwell'd M715 and that truck could easily get by with drive flanges since it's off road only and has Detroits already. I have a spare Detroit too and at some point will put that stuff into the front axle so when I need it...it will be there and should help a bit considering the weight on the front axle. Airlockers for the rear rears would be a nice treat so it ever needed to lock up the whole truck.