• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

longest deuce ride

Desert Rat

AJG,
I went from Evansville, IN to Brackney, PA and back and will soon be going to Houston, then back to Evansville for another trip back to Houston. I'd guess about 3K miles or so in all.

mtnrebel

man, i thought going from delaware to nc was long. maybe ill get a wild hair and go from wilmington, nc to barstow, ca(picking up parts along the way). thats funny, ajg, holding up the grunts on the interstate!!!!!!!!!!!!

Westech

CPL
All back roads. I drive 151 north out of madison to oshkosh once and a wile and thats 65, but I can do 60 so its not that bad. Even at 50 or 55 on the hills people dont mind too much. I get tons of honks and waves. ( the good kind) just mash it keep your lights on

spicergear

My buddy just got on and I told him not to drive it like a new vehicle and baby it but to, "...turn on the lights and drive it like ya hate it!"

I've only driven my deuce about 200mi...then it died. Bad batteries, no juice, no tank pump...dead. I did, however, drive my Rockwell axle'd, 427/3053A urged '67 M715 from Central PA to Western Ky to the LBL. 800mi one way. Four wheeled out on the trails a day, unlocked the big Selectros and drove back. Nearly 1700mi in three days...oops, no four...did 400 and 400 on the way home.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In April 2003 I drove the little tractor from Olney MD to FL. About 1000 miles. That August I drove said tractor from West Palm Beach to Cincy OH and back all with an M35A2 piggybacked on the back. Total miles was 2568. Oh yeah, went by George Bakers place in TN to swap some stuff and check out his M114A1E1. Took Interstates all the way up and back except a few hundred miles on the FL Turnpike. Nice ride and got to see lots of things I've never seen before, I'm assuming because of the 50/55 speed. Would I do it again? You bet! Look for me cruising back to Aberdeen this May for the rally and the east coast convoy. Might even be pulling double trailers!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you plan ahead, you will do just fine on the road.
I have put over 4,000 miles on my deuce during the last 3 months. Since I was making deliveries for a customer (log cabin kit) across state lines, I had to get a DOT# for my truck. It's all very simple really, just a lot of formalities and it is all for the sake of safety.
I stop at all weigh stations, another safety check. I keep a log for the trips, have insurance, medical card, spare parts for the truck (Light bulbs, including spare head lights), chains, emergency supplies etc.
Driving with a maximum speed of 60 mph in traffic, which averages about 70 requires thinking ahead at all times, especially in merging traffic.
The deuce keeps you awake. The DOT lets you drive 11 hours in a 24 hr period of time and the max I have done is 535 miles coming back from a visit to Kenny in Florida.
I have a VIC-1 intercom system in the deuce and a CB so I can listen in on the conversations. Too much background noise to talk.
Got a noise cancelling mike now, but havn't tested it. Perhaps for the Greenville trip next week.
I have slept in the cab without too much trouble.
Durning these trips I only spotted one (1) other HMV on the road, a CUCV in North Carolina.
Driving the deuce, you are above most vehicles and it's easy to plan your moves ahead in traffic. Good all round visibility (Bikini Top) and good mirrors are a must.
Check lights, brakes, tire pressures, tire temps, wheel bearing temps at all stops.
Make sure that the hand brake works.
With the 1100 tires, my fuel milage is about 9.5 mpg, a little less with the trailer. With a GVW of about 24.000 lb the fuel milage drops to about 8.5.

Below are some images from the trips.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is this fuel track check point for? Are they just dipping and sipping your fuel to make sure it's taxed? Never seen one of these before!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only seen it in NC during my limited travels. Asked the DOT-cop on duty there about biodiesel and he didn't even know what biodiesel was. They only check for the red dye as in off-road diesel and kerosene if they check it at all.

baja_power

cranetruck said:
I have a VIC-1 intercom system in the deuce and a CB so I can listen in on the conversations. Too much background noise to talk.
Got a noise cancelling mike now, but havn't tested it

How does this work for you?

I was thinking of getting an Intercom system for mine. Since it can get loud. And have it connected to a radio or Cd Player so you can actually hear it.

Where did you get it and what was the Price?

Wyattearp

Great Pictures Bjorn,
Looks like a great way to enjoy the country also, we got another 10 inches of snow here from Sunday till this past monday and finally stopped snowing (flurries) late last nite. Im excited about getting to work on that engine and get the beast moving again, im actually at this point trying to find a way to get a title for the truck the guy i purchased it from his brother bought the truck from the town he works for as it developed a knock in the engine, ie the reason i have the engine that i purchased from Bjorn, but the title has been lost, so im not sure what kind of red tape i will have to go through to get a new one.

Has anyone dealt with *Broadwaytitle* which has an ad in the Military Vehicle magazine? If so what was involved...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
About the intercom, it works great, My son and I drove to Aberdeen last year in the deuce w/o the top and could talk and hear each other quite well. The headsets are great hearing protectors too.
When I'm alone, I unplug the mike and get the sound (CB) without any background noise.
If you enjoy singing (like in the shower), the intercom works great with the mike plugged in, of course.
At slow speed, around town, gas stations etc, I take the headset off. I do like the sound of the multifuel engine.
The headset is not uncomfortable, I have had it on for 10 or more hours at a time with only short breaks without trouble.
For more, see new topic under "Military Radios.."

Driving for 8-10 hours a day was most exhausting for my right leg, flooring the pedal continously. I have been thinking about adding a second "gas" pedal for the right foot...:)

Jim, I'm glad to hear that you will be able to start working on your engine(s). This forum is great for help, I'm sure. Keep us up to date on your progress.

cbvet

Okay, not the longest trip, but "interesting"...
Bought Deuce in NW Minnesota. Drove it 962 miles to Northern Indiana.

Three almost 60 year old 'Nam vets. The Air Force vet has only 1 eye, wears a patch, & has mediocre vision in his "good" eye. The Marine has glaucoma & doesn't see well at all. Me, the SEABEE is fine.

I'm driving the deuce home, being followed by the others in my wife's Buick.

We stop at a toll booth on I90. Woman asks "Where are you headed?"

I replied "Indiana".

She says "I'm not surprised. I've been hearing about this German terrorist with an American wife, who lives in Indiana. I knew there would have to be reenforcements sent in."

Having NO idea what she's talking about, not wanting to sound ignorant & uninformed, but wanting to be cool, I asked in a quiet voice "Where did you here all this?"

She said she had heard it from someone, but guessed maybe she shouldn't be talking about it. I agreed it should probably be kept quiet.

She then asked "What's in the back?", but before I could respond she said "Oh, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked. You probably can't say, can you?" Of course I said "Well no, not really."

She waved me on through, surely taking comfort in the knowledge that Indiana would soon be rid of this terrorist!

Another toll booth. Guy asks "What's in the back?"

Well I'm getting into this now. so I answer "Oh, just some stuff. You know..." He gives me a wink & says "Hey! That's alright. I heard there was a special operation going into Indiana to stop some terrorists. I'm sure glad to know something's finally being done". I just gave him a "could be" look. & he waved me through with a "God bless".

My buddies pulled up to the booth. The Marine is wearing a camo USMC cap, but nothing else military. Toll collector asks, while pointing down the road at the Deuce, "Are you with him?" Marine says "Well yes. Why?" Guy asks "Well how come you're in a regular car?", then immediately answers his own question with, "Oh. Undercover I bet!" Marine, not knowing what is going on, just stares forward & nods his head. Toll guy thanks them & waves them through!

Knowing she watches the news, I immediately called my wife to see if there was some trouble back home that I somehow hadn't heard about. She assured me all was quiet.

But rest assured, if sometime in the future Indiana needs 3 old veterans & their Mighty Deuce, we are ready.

Eric Wendt

Northern Indiana

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eric, Welcome to Steel Soldiers! I found your story quite amusing! Before I start to "pick your brain", I need to ask you to go into the control panel at the top and create a signature with at minimum, your state of residence. This is one of the few requirements for the forum (along with respectable language.) Now that the formalities are out of the way, what time span were you with the Seabees and which batallion? Reason I'm asking is that I'm restoring a Seabee deuce. Any and all Seabee info I can get, I'm saving. I know little about my truck other than it was at Camp Moscrip PR for a while and belonged to NMCB74.
Thanks in advance!

cbvet

Kenneth,

I'm definitely not a computer person, but I think I have that signature thing fixed.

Anyway, I was with MCB 62 1966-1968. We went to VietNam while MCB 74 was in training.

I was always in I Corps. Furthest south I went was DaNang.

I spent a total of 13 months there. 8 Months on Security & 81mm Mortars, then 5 months as a field crew mechanic.

It seems to me that all the Deuce's we had were gas, but I'm really not sure. We also had some IH trucks.

I intend to remove the Army markings on my deuce & put on Seabee ID. I'm not sure about the correct markings. I have the Seabee stencil for the doors. I seem to remember that the sides of the hood were marked with a 2 digit number identifying the vehicle type, followed by a 5 digit VIN.

Can you tell me anything more about the markings?

By the way. My VFW flies the flags of all SIX branches of the armed forces! Six? Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, & Seabees!

It's been said ( by an Admiral ) that I created Naval history when I declared the Seabees a separate branch. Why not?

We Build, We Fight

CANDO

Eric

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great to talk to you Eric. You did get that signature thing fixed, looks great. I think the numbers have since been moved to the doors. Mine is 95-19522. My truck is a pipeline maintenance truck. Steelsoldiers dad has a pipeline truck and it too has the 95 prefix on the number. I've learned little more that that so far. Go to the favorite color thread here in the forum. Member Brad900 has a very nice M35A2C that belonged to the Seabees. There are two pictures of it and it has the markings. The numbers have been sprayed over but I'm sure we can talk Brad into cleaning them off enough to see what the numbers are. I'll bet, like you said, the prefix numbers will be just a little different from my pipeline truck. You can also go to http://photobucket.com/albums/v460/Recovry4x4/
and click on the M756A2 Icon to look at my Seabees truck. Thanks for your help Eric!
Kenny

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks