• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at MEP-002a... advice

Xshot

I'm going to look at a running MEP-002a tomorrow. From the pictures I have, it looks very clean and in great condition. Current owner has had it for 7-8 years, but just doesn't have a need for backup power. Approximately 5,000 hours on the meter.

I have a 10CCO Kohler diesel (Kubota powered) that I repaired and have running. So I'm looking for a new project. I'll be able to check volts, Hz and temps with my multi-meter, and I'll inspect for leaks and air filter condition during my inspection. This is my first MEP, so it will be a new adventure. I've read all the post here and on Smokstak on this particular model. We're talking $600-800.00 for a unit with 5000 hours. Any advice to help with the inspection would be appreciated.

Thanks

Keith_J

Meters and gauges. The seals fail, letting water in. A new suite is $500 easy. Look for rust inside the meter cases or worse, water. Water can also seep into the oil pressure gauge, the low oil pressure switch and the fuel gauge.

Check to see if the fuel control lever moves freely once the stop solenoid (governor solenoid) is pulled up. If not, you might have an injection pump sticking. And this probably means injectors need servicing. Look inside the fuel tank with a strong light, if the rust is crusty, you have a good deal of work to clean that out. But it can be done.

External wires can get crusty if left outside. This is Nylon over fiberglass over PVC insulated wire. Clear heatshrink can be applied over the fiberglass to make them neater. Or you can use split loom.

coyote62ny

what ever you do never idle the engine you will fry the ac voltage regulator always run and shut it down at 60hertz or 1800 rpm as soon as it starts make shure its at 60 hertz

jbk

try to bring a load bank with you. 4(6kw) small 1500 watt heaters work good. this will put some preasure on the rods(listen for adnormal knocks) and will check govenor adjustment.

storeman

You can't plug those 1500 watt heaters into the convenience outlet. Make up a quad outlet in a double box each side rigged with #12 wire on a short lead and attach the 2 #12s directly to the load terminals to load test.
Jerry

Xshot

Good information... thanks for all the replies. I've already downloaded the manuals and will take them with me.

I get the impression 5,000 hours is acceptable at the price point we're discussing.

Keith_J

Yes, 5000 hours is mid-life if original engine and meter. If the blower housing has the Onan tag on it with a 1990s contract date, chances are the engine is newer.

The engines are Onan-made, the generator set's ID plate might have another manufaturer as the frame, control box and generator are military standard. Onan made the engine and control transformer (Magneciter design).

The pistons have 4 rings, 3 compression and one oil control set with the top ring chromium. This is far from ordinary diesel design. Furthermore, the engine is lightly loaded, it takes about 8 Hp to run the generator, these engines will produce 16 Hp easily, this is why the 002A can easily drive a 7.5 kW load and only start to drop in frequency above 9 kW. Now run it at 7.5 kW and the engine will only last about 2500 hours.

Rest assured, no soldier would let the percent rated current meter to be over 100% as failure would result in a hefty statement of charges (money deducted from monthly pay). Whenever I had a load approaching 80%, I would split off the load and fire another generator up. Fuel was courtesy of Uncle Sugar, only requiring a signature and log book.

Xshot

Yes, 5000 hours is mid-life if original engine and meter. If the blower housing has the Onan tag on it with a 1990s contract date, chances are the engine is newer.

The engines are Onan-made, the generator set's ID plate might have another manufaturer as the frame, control box and generator are military standard. Onan made the engine and control transformer (Magneciter design).

The pistons have 4 rings, 3 compression and one oil control set with the top ring chromium. This is far from ordinary diesel design. Furthermore, the engine is lightly loaded, it takes about 8 Hp to run the generator, these engines will produce 16 Hp easily, this is why the 002A can easily drive a 7.5 kW load and only start to drop in frequency above 9 kW. Now run it at 7.5 kW and the engine will only last about 2500 hours.

Rest assured, no soldier would let the percent rated current meter to be over 100% as failure would result in a hefty statement of charges (money deducted from monthly pay). Whenever I had a load approaching 80%, I would split off the load and fire another generator up. Fuel was courtesy of Uncle Sugar, only requiring a signature and log book.
Keith, that's great information. In fact, the owner claims the unit was made in 1990, but he didn't provide clear pictures of any tag/plate. Are you suggesting they could have replace the engine and/or refurbish the genset, but left the hour meter intact with original time from new? The reason I ask is because the genset is really clean with all paint, wires, and hoses looking as if the unit had been refurbished. Meaning - exterior condition and components look much closer to new and in no way relect 5,000 our of use. Heck, my mid 90's 10CCO Kohler genset has only 550 hours and this MEP-002a looks far better externally.

Last edited:

Keith_J

Yes, Onan provided engines for replacement in the 1990s. My 002A was made in 1986 but has a 1994 engine. The Hobbs meter was ~1200 hours and original to the set yet when I went to change the oil, there were lumps of grease in it. Grease is used to hold the governor flyballs in position during assembly and should be completely dissolved in the motor oil in a few hours.

If the generator looks new but has 5000 hours, it was most definitely assigned to active duty unit and was turned in for exchange for a tactical quiet set in the late 1990s to 2002. If the unit operated for 6 weeks out of the year (1000 hours) plus one hour a week (PMCS), that 5000 hours is less than 5 years of field duty.

If the generator was trailer mounted, it will show more signs of weather. If the lifting eye and skids/tie-downs show wear, chances are it was kept in a sheltered location.

Xshot

I looked over the MEP-002a today. The current owner was a 1st class good guy. Went out of his way to point out what he knew needed repair, just an honest guy.

The engine oil, fuel and all filters are original from the time he purchase the unit - 6 years ago. Engine oil was still amber and not blackened by soot - he has run it less than 10 hours since purchasing it. Air filter element was clean and functional.

After visual inspection he started the unit. It tried to start on the intial crank, but it timed out. It did fire on the second (reset) attempt. The relays and glow plugs appeared to function properly from a cold start. It got down into the low 20's the previous night and the unit was stone cold - I checked.

We dialed in 60 Hz and put a load on the unit (2- 1 hp motors & 300 watt lamp) from the convenience outlets - I know not the optimum load test. The unit sensed the load and the governor responded appropriately. The unit held 59.9 - 60.1 Hz throughout testing - using digital meters. Genset analog indicated 60 -61 Hz.

I was surprised how well the genset ran with such old fuel. Once it warmed up it didn't smoke at all.

Besides a complete and thorough maintenance, it needs a proper bolt in the started actuator arm and a new control rod for either the governor or stop solenoid. I need to look more closely as to which it is, but for now his temporary clamp fix is working.

I didn't find any surprises during my hour long visual inspection. I opened all accces/inspection panels and found zero corrosion and everything in very good condition. Reportedly, it always been stored in a shelter and its condition supports that claim. Original manufacture date is 1990. I couldn't find any indication the military re-engine it since that date. However, I did find a third party control module inside the control cabinet. When I asked the seller about it, he told me the previous owner's procured the genset from a company that refurbished and modified military gensets for use in laboratories requiring automatic transfer to emergency power. He bought this MEP from a lab located nearby to upgraded to a larger genset. This may explain why everything is in such good condition.

I think I'll buy it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks