• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

looking for a genset to run 3 phase 200 amps

slash79

I do some part time work for a guy and he is in need of a generator that can put out around 200 amps and 3 phase power to run a plasma cutter. what are my options, and what kind of price range are we looking at? I am in the Charlotte, NC area and am a prior service Marine Motor T mech, so I know a little bit about the green gear. Thanks guys!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
My 10k will nake three phase power as will most military gennys......you just have to switch the wiring aound. If the genny is three phase there will be a schematic on it somewhere that will tell how to change it over.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The plasma cutter is pulling 200 amps of 3 phase....Just how frickin big is that plasma cutter???

slash79

i know the cutter will go through over 1.5", from what i have heard, I think the 200 amps is right at startup plus a safety margin, we looked at a 60kw but the guy wanted 5k for it.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Better check the cutter a little more closely. The output may be 200 amps, but I have never heard of one with an input anywhere near that high. I am not saying they are not out there, I just have never seen or heard of one.

Kind of like a welder...output may be 200 or 300 amps, but the input may only be 60 or so.

wb1895

I have a MEP-003a 10 kw gen set that I would let you look at/ try out on the "blue wrench" to see if that is what you might need.

I am just North of you on I-85 in Lexington

Westech

CPL
really a good working 60k gen set for 5 grand on a trailer is not all that bad..... look at what you would spend on a 60k civy gen set. prob close to 25 grand or more!
we have one here at work that I use (plz cutter) and I can do 1/4 plate no problem with ez and its only a 120V unit 20 amp INPUT. Like stated above you may want to check that input power again.
I am thinking a 10k might do you fine.

Harleyd315

I have a plasma cutter here that has a Max cut of 2" steel. It is wired 3 ph with a 60 amp breaker. You can wire it single ph but then the amperage draw jumps up to over 100 amps. 200 amp 3 ph is a lot of power, what make and model cutter are you working with?

derf

What brand/model is that plasma cutter? Is your guy scrapping battleships?
200A 3 phase is A LOT of power.

derf

A "200 Amp plasma cutter" will usually draw around 100 Amps AC at 208V, 3 phase.
I think anything more powerful than that would step up to higher voltages.
The higher voltages are better for allowing use of smaller gauge wire.

leedawg

I do some part time work for a guy and he is in need of a generator that can put out around 200 amps and 3 phase power to run a plasma cutter. what are my options, and what kind of price range are we looking at? I am in the Charlotte, NC area and am a prior service Marine Motor T mech, so I know a little bit about the green gear. Thanks guys!
If your in 29 palms, San Bernardino county I have a 30 kw set that would probably drive that plasma cutter just fine that id be willing to let ya have. Id even deliver it for you. As every body else here has said 200 amps for a plasma cutter at 3 phase power is an insane amount of power..

derf

I have a 30 kw set that would probably drive that plasma cutter just fine that id be willing to let ya have.

Wow, a free 30kW gen? Bring that to LA. I'll take it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks