• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for Ball Bearing Information

la2butler

Hi all. My grandfather worked at Hoover Ball and Bearing in Ann Arbor, Michigan from about 1939 to 1950's. I am working on a book about WWII and ball bearings. I would like to hear from any of you who have information in this area or could point me to it. I would especially like to hear about in the field problems related to bearing casings during that time. I appreciate your assistance.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. As you know, ball bearings found their way into Jeeps, trucks, tanks, you name it during WWII. I have never heard of some kind of issue with any bearings produced for the war effort. In fact, WWII era bearings are still serving hobbyists and industry all over the world. Good luck with your effort. I have never heard of Hoover bearings, only Hyatt, Timken etc.

la2butler

Welcome. As you know, ball bearings found their way into Jeeps, trucks, tanks, you name it during WWII. I have never heard of some kind of issue with any bearings produced for the war effort. In fact, WWII era bearings are still serving hobbyists and industry all over the world. Good luck with your effort. I have never heard of Hoover bearings, only Hyatt, Timken etc.
I am wondering about the open bearing casings that needed cleaning and greasing. Before the enclosed casings were implemented.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks