• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

looking for shortcut right side mirror

cagosti

greetings !
I want to install a right side mirror on a m151a2 with a heater .

short of removing the whole heater kit has anyone found a shortcut
to get to the inner panel on the right side ?

Thanks
Charles
Portage Mi

salt6

I just did this with mine. If you can get a little creative withholding the bolts in your wrench. You can just drop the heater and go through the heater vent intake.

I don't think you be able to do about these dropping the heater some.

m816

I tried taking the windshield bracket off and knew I would loose the bolts. I thought , What the Heck, I'll put a nutssert in the hole. and just put new bolts in it. Didn't work, ended up removing the heater. I am not that flexable any more. Job took two days:beer:

Snoop

I just did this with mine. If you can get a little creative withholding the bolts in your wrench. You can just drop the heater and go through the heater vent intake.

I don't think you be able to do about these dropping the heater some.
Hello from Germany,

what do you mean with "through the heater vent intake"?
Do you mean that moveable clap outside in front of the windscreen rh-side?

Ciao
Snoop

nattieleather

Drop the heater. It will take time, but you'll thank yourself later. With the heater in it makes doing many things on that side of the truck a real PITA.

salt6

Hello from Germany,

what do you mean with "through the heater vent intake"?
Do you mean that moveable clap outside in front of the windscreen rh-side?

Ciao
Snoop

Yes, four bolts that hold the upper part of the heater. I was able to drop the heater enough to get to the nuts on the back of the bolts. I just didn't want to remove the the heater water lines.

poof

Dirty Hippie
When I was stationed in Germany.. we had no jeep heaters under the dash... all the 1/4 ton's had 35,000 deuce hot water heaters mounted between the front seats..... the under dash heater is a pain in the butt.. take it out and sell it.. mount your mirror and buy a deuce heater, with poncho and liner.. you will be toasty and warm..:doghead: "poncho man "

Snoop

Off Topic

Hello Snoop
whats the place look like now..
is the Park restraunt still there?
Hutier Kasern is where I was at for 4 years..
J.P.
Hi J.P.

the US Army is completly gone.
Only some empty Buildings are left.
Since a couple of years they renew some of the Buildings.
Lawyers, Banks, and all kinds of Offices start to grow there.
In Wolfgang at the Baseball Field are Grocery stores now,
The housing area becomes new citizens after renewing.
Campo Pond is a place for wild horses (no joke).

Ciao
Snoop

Snoop

my shortcut solution

After I decided that it is to much trouble to remove the heater,
I found out that the windshild hinge has the same holes in the frame (1st. pic. red arrows) as on top of the firewall (1st. pic. white arrows).
Why not mounting the arm-holder there?
But the bolt in the center and the stiffingpoint are in the way, so I had a little work on the arm-holder (2nd. and 3rd. pics red arrows).
Now I was able to mount the complete mirror-holder.
Fortunatelly I got a non-original mirror arm with a telescop and turn adjustment.
That helped me to adjust the square mirror.
Meanwhile all parts are fresh painted and drying.

Sorry for the bad cell-phone-pictures...

Ciao
Snoop

Attachments

poof

Dirty Hippie
Great job.. I will keep that process in mind.. when I get to adding a pass side mirror...
J.P.:driver:
I would Love to make a trip back to Germany some day...

JGBallew

I tried taking the windshield bracket off and knew I would loose the bolts. I thought , What the Heck, I'll put a nutssert in the hole. and just put new bolts in it. Didn't work, ended up removing the heater. I am not that flexable any more. Job took two days:beer:
Rivnuts or blind nuts don't take to high torque well, unless you use the keyed ones.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks